searching on key words? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just trying to understand the system a little more, but a web page I built for a friend:

www.algarciastruckrepair.com

There might be a way to show what "page" a web site is listed at based on key words, but I haven't run across anything that shows me how to determine this so here are my questions:

If I search on Live.com:

For "truck repair norco" it doesn't appear to get listed

For "truck repair norco ca" it shows on the first page

The same type of thing happens for Google.com but backwards:

For "truck repair norco" it shows up on first page

For "truck repair norco ca" it doesn't appear to get listed

On Yahoo.com it shows up on first page for both searches.

I understand, to some degree, the concept behind using keywords on a web page for search engines to crawl and index.  I have also read (on many web sites) that if you over fluff a keyword list that it tends to impact the search results in a negative way.

So what is the "right" way to do it so you get the best results on a search based on certain keywords, since this system seems to be changing every day?

Is it always going to be different on each search engine, or is there a universal format that most crawlers follow that would index a site properly?

What would I need to change to get the site to come up in search results for the different engines out there for both:

"truck repair norco"

"truck repair norco ca"

?

I've read a lot of web sites trying to understand all this, but everyone seems to have a different answer so it's somewhat confusing when trying to build web pages the "right" way today.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 3, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

•  

Unfortunately, there is no one right way. All things considered, you are ranking fairly well for your chosen keywords--especially for how sparse the page is. Adding more content using your keywords might help; however, I would caution you. If you continuously use that word, not only will it irritate your visitors, but it will irritate search bots as well. So, as you can see, it is a delicate balance. I would look to some of the other webmaster forums out there that deal specifically with SEO techniques.

Friday, October 3, 2008 10:11 PM

All replies

•  

Unfortunately, there is no one right way. All things considered, you are ranking fairly well for your chosen keywords--especially for how sparse the page is. Adding more content using your keywords might help; however, I would caution you. If you continuously use that word, not only will it irritate your visitors, but it will irritate search bots as well. So, as you can see, it is a delicate balance. I would look to some of the other webmaster forums out there that deal specifically with SEO techniques.

Friday, October 3, 2008 10:11 PM
  • SEO is not an exact. Although search engines differ in their algorithms there are still commonalities among them. I believe as long as you target what is common to them, you should be ranking well in the search engines. I believe any search engine favors:
    1. good content
    2. relevant backlinks
    3. well-structured website
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:07 AM