Client Setup recommendations - How to logon and Persistant drive Mappings RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to search for an answer to this question but without sucess.

A small company that I support has a major server failure and we needed a quick solution to get them working. WHS seemed idea and I setup the users and shares and transferred the data, this all worked fine and I am very impressed with WHS.

The office has about 7 PC's which have W2K or XP or XP professional installed. The failed server worked as NT Domain and all clients logged on to the domain (the W2K machines were computers in the domain).

When the WHS was setup I moved all the clients to the work group and setup local accounts on each PC for the users to logon with. These local accounts are the same name (and password) as the accounts on WHS. As far as I can tell WHS only supports a workgroup not a full NT type domain?

I can logon to each machine OK and can access the shared data on the WHS, when accessing the shares it asks for userid and password.

I setup persistant drive mappings to map one of the WHS shares to a P: drive as they have a piece of software that requires this mapping. However this mapping is NOT persistant despite me ticking the reconnect at login box. Currently we are having to browse to the share and then enter userid/password when prompted.

I would be graefull for recommendations on the best way to setup the client machines so that the users can logon and have the drive mappings available.

I have not installed the connector on each client as I specifically do not want these PCs backed up, they dont have any data on them that is required and we already have a simple process in place to restore a failed PC.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,
    you wrote
    when accessing the shares it asks for userid and password

this should not happen, unless the user names and/or passwords in the console do not match the user names on the client PCs. Only use the user names, not the display names, not the names with leading domain name for creating the users in the console.
    Did you enable the guest account on the server? This is also not a good idea.

Also in Windows Explorer folder options disable simple file sharing. (this is not possible for Windows XP Home clients)
    Did you alter any settings for SMB signing in group policies for the clients in the past? This may also cause failing authentication.
    Does the system time and time zone on the client match the server? (A self setup server defaults to Pacific time zone if not reconfigured!)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Tim,
    you wrote
    when accessing the shares it asks for userid and password

this should not happen, unless the user names and/or passwords in the console do not match the user names on the client PCs. Only use the user names, not the display names, not the names with leading domain name for creating the users in the console.
    Did you enable the guest account on the server? This is also not a good idea.

Also in Windows Explorer folder options disable simple file sharing. (this is not possible for Windows XP Home clients)
    Did you alter any settings for SMB signing in group policies for the clients in the past? This may also cause failing authentication.
    Does the system time and time zone on the client match the server? (A self setup server defaults to Pacific time zone if not reconfigured!)

Olaf

Hi Olaf, thanks for your help.

I have not enabled guest access far too dangerous ;-)
    I will try disabling simple file sharing andI am pretty sure that there were no special group policies on the clients.

I did fall for the time zone problem  but noticed it after a few hours and corrected it.

A further question, Is there anyway to clear all cached login credentials from each client pc so that I can work forwards from there?

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    cached credentials in that sense only exist for domain users.
    You can store user names and passwords on some operating systems (not the home editions).
    These can be checked, added or removed with Start/Run control keymgr.dll.
    Please check also, if the FAQ How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested helps you further.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:15 PM