none
2011 Mappoint won't import XLS files. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to load XLS files using the "data import wizard", it all seems to work fine until I select the file I wish to import. It gives me this error when I select:

There was a problem opening: C:\Users\Toshiba owner\desktop\...\xxx.xls.

If I right click on an XLS short cut and try to open with mappoint I get this error:

This application cannot open this file. Consult Help for information about compatible formats.

I have tried saving the files in various XL formats and none of them open. I am running this on a machine with copious amounts of ram that is on VISTA with all of its appropriate updates.

I am at a loss as to what the problem could be!
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:05 AM

All replies

• Without having more specifics, it is hard to understand why the data import wizard is not opening your XLS file; that is certainly the right way to import data from such a file.  For instance, are you getting a box in the center of your screen with folders and files in it for your selection or is the problem after that? Have you ever been able to import data thusly or is this your first attempt?

But your second approach, clicking on an XLS shortcut definitely will not work, so you can forget that. 

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:49 PM