none
Sharding problem? RRS feed

• Question

• After yesterday's upgrade, I'm seeing an issue that I remember from forums 2.X after SQL Server replication got deployed.  I'm working from a forum preview page and respond to a thread in a separate tab.  Switch back to the preview tab and refresh the view.  The thread I responded to still shows as unanswered but when I open it, it shows my post.  In other words the thread title is out of sync with the thread contents.

SQL replication was a huge source of trouble at forums 2.X, it looks like sharding has some of the same issues.  Could you give us some idea what kind of synchronization problems we should expect?

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:55 PM

Answers

• Need a few details to better understand the situation.

1. By preview tab, I'm assuming you mean a "Threads" page. Is that page "Threads by Forum" or "My Threads"?
    2. If you refresh the Thread Specific page, does it show as Answered?
    3. Can you point me to the specific thread?

For the sharding implementation, a Shard is the authoritative source for a give Forum, it's threads and posts. So there wouldn't be any synch issues in that respect.

Areas where you may see delays would be the "My-centric" stuff My Threads, My Alerts and other Multi-Forum aggregates (stats, points...)
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:56 PM
  • nobugz,
    I'm as yet unable to reproduce the issue you describe. If you can repro it, could you outline specific steps. What's open in each tab, previews expanded...

Mike,
    Move Threads is likely a cache expiry thing. We'll look into it.
    I just hit the Edit issue myself, I'll take a look. Change Subject is probably the same issue since a thread and it's messages are cached as a single entity.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:32 PM

All replies

• Need a few details to better understand the situation.

1. By preview tab, I'm assuming you mean a "Threads" page. Is that page "Threads by Forum" or "My Threads"?
    2. If you refresh the Thread Specific page, does it show as Answered?
    3. Can you point me to the specific thread?

For the sharding implementation, a Shard is the authoritative source for a give Forum, it's threads and posts. So there wouldn't be any synch issues in that respect.

Areas where you may see delays would be the "My-centric" stuff My Threads, My Alerts and other Multi-Forum aggregates (stats, points...)
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:56 PM
  • 1) It was the C++ Language Threads by Forum page.
    2) I refreshed it after submitting, then noticed the discrepancy.  The next refresh was an automatic one which removed the thread from the list because my "Unread" filter was on.
    3) http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/d6d0b973-24f9-40ad-becf-9d34377c60b8

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:18 PM
  • I've noticed similar things in the SharePoint forums.

Move threads. The thread is still listed as being in the old forum when accepted
    Change subject by Edit. When it's accepted the subject shows the old subject.
    Edit a reply. When it's accepted the old text is still visible in my post not the change.

That last one at least always worked correctly before. 

(Of course the changes have really gone through - it's just the appearance that they haven't that is the problem.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:56 PM
  • nobugz,
    I'm as yet unable to reproduce the issue you describe. If you can repro it, could you outline specific steps. What's open in each tab, previews expanded...

Mike,
    Move Threads is likely a cache expiry thing. We'll look into it.
    I just hit the Edit issue myself, I'll take a look. Change Subject is probably the same issue since a thread and it's messages are cached as a single entity.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:32 PM