unable to start BITS service after RIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I came across an issue that I have not before, with BITS. Background Intelligent Transfer Service will not start after I RIS a new computer. We use Remote Installation Services to drop new images on all our computers. I have re-imaged almost 80 computers by now and all of them have the same issue: BITS set to Automatic, but it will not start. This gets eve worst, because we use SCCM to deploy packaged applications and off course SCCM cannot send anything if BITS is not working. Please see below the symptoms:

1. BITS set to automatic, but when try to start it comes back with: "Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it's disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"

2. When I right click on the service and choose "Properties", it comes back with : "Configuration Manager: The specified value does not exist in the registry"

3. The output from sc queryex bits command is below:

SERVICE_NAME: bits

TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

STATE              : 1  STOPPED

(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077       (0x435)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)

CHECKPOINT         : 0x0

WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

PID                : 0

FLAGS              :

Please let me know if you have any insight, I've been trying everything, including sc config commands, it will not allow me to configure the service. This is happening on all the computers we re-image, but we already know it's not the image, because we are using the same image in other locations as well and it works just fine. It's a local problem, but I cannot isolate it.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:39 PM