This copy of Windows is not genuine, MGAdiag.exe does not work, slui.exe does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit laptop (my work machine at a large company). I've had the machine about 9 months now and have had no problems.

At the end of last week my background turns black and I get the "Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of Windows is not authentic". Now slui.exe is constantly running in the background, I can't kill it (it keeps popping back up), it's taking up 250MB of memory. Every time I open Visual Studio 2008 something is causing the window to lose focus so I can't type more than a few characters without having to click back on the screen.

I try to run MGA diag (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) but it just freezes and becomes unresponsive without reporting anything. I did get it to run once today but the report was missing a lot of info and I didn't think to save it.

I try to run slui.exe 4 from cmd run as administrator, nothing happens (it does exist in Windows\System32). I did get it to run once a few days ago (that is from the command prompt and a gui came up, not constantly in the background with no gui, which I can't get rid of!) but it sent me to a webpage that didn't do anything.

Occasionally I get a pop up (or a bunch of the same one at one) that says my Windows may be fraudulent or something and then it sends me here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/?OSV=6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.004.09.1033&LS=2&LegitCheckError=00000052&GenuineInfo=00000000&Channel=1&ErrCode=00000000 . I was able to get through to that page this morning and it had me install some update and then then told me to contact my system administrator.

Can anyone tell me what's going on or at least give me a temporary way to disable slui.exe (or whatever it is that's messing me up) so that I can at least run Visual Studio??

I have contacted my company's IT support but they're not exactly prompt so I'm looking for a solution myself so I can actually start working again!!!

Thanks very much!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:16 AM

Answers

• "Man238479832704" wrote in message news:7717d2c8-b011-4649-9ea3-e2fcd12022fe...

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the response. I tried System Restore but it does appear to be either blocked or not working.

Thanks!

Man

Most of the stuff that we'd advise you to do here to fix validation problems requires admin privileges - and if the IT crew at your company have any idea what they are doing, you won't have that. Having said that, lacking admin privileges should have prevented what may be the problem anyhow.
    Try running an MGADiag report - if it works, post the result....
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 21, 2011 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:46 PM

All replies

• I should clarify: when visual studio is running ALL windows lose focus and I can't type in them. When it's not running I don't have that problem but the system is very laggy for no reason (I have Core i7 with 8GB of RAM).
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:18 AM
  • "Man238479832704" wrote in message news:f42fc827-e0bb-4b7f-be07-e65f0ebfb626...

Hello,

I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit laptop (my work machine at a large company). I've had the machine about 9 months now and have had no problems.

At the end of last week my background turns black and I get the "Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of Windows is not authentic". Now slui.exe is constantly running in the background, I can't kill it (it keeps popping back up), it's taking up 250MB of memory. Every time I open Visual Studio 2008 something is causing the window to lose focus so I can't type more than a few characters without having to click back on the screen.

I try to run MGA diag (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) but it just freezes and becomes unresponsive without reporting anything. I did get it to run once today but the report was missing a lot of info and I didn't think to save it.

I try to run slui.exe 4 from cmd run as administrator, nothing happens (it does exist in Windows\System32). I did get it to run once a few days ago (that is from the command prompt and a gui came up, not constantly in the background with no gui, which I can't get rid of!) but it sent me to a webpage that didn't do anything.

Occasionally I get a pop up (or a bunch of the same one at one) that says my Windows may be fraudulent or something and then it sends me here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/?OSV=6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.004.09.1033&LS=2&LegitCheckError=00000052&GenuineInfo=00000000&Channel=1&ErrCode=00000000 . I was able to get through to that page this morning and it had me install some update and then then told me to contact my system administrator.

Can anyone tell me what's going on or at least give me a temporary way to disable slui.exe (or whatever it is that's messing me up) so that I can at least run Visual Studio??

I have contacted my company's IT support but they're not exactly prompt so I'm looking for a solution myself so I can actually start working again!!!

Thanks very much!

Your best option for at least a temporary fix is to use System Restore to go back to a time when things worked properly (assuming you have access to it - you may not do if your IT crew have locked the system down)

--

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hi Noel,

Thanks for the response. I tried System Restore but it does appear to be either blocked or not working.

Thanks!

Man

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:46 PM
  • "Man238479832704" wrote in message news:7717d2c8-b011-4649-9ea3-e2fcd12022fe...

Hi Noel,

Thanks!

Man

Most of the stuff that we'd advise you to do here to fix validation problems requires admin privileges - and if the IT crew at your company have any idea what they are doing, you won't have that. Having said that, lacking admin privileges should have prevented what may be the problem anyhow.
    Try running an MGADiag report - if it works, post the result....
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 21, 2011 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:46 PM
  • To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

where do i copy the report. and what is this response you talk about. i have the same error. my windows is not being activated.

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:08 AM
  • "BMR45" wrote in message news:25c471bc-b71e-484c-b14e-0618b7eff7f4...

where do i copy the report. and what is this response you talk about. i have the same error. my windows is not being activated.

You need to start a new Question thread of your own, and past the results into the box there.
    Click on ‘Ask a Question’ at the top of the listing, insert a title in the Title box, and paste the report into the Body box.
    Please also include a brief statement of your own problem

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:47 AM