Re-duplicating shared folders? RRS feed

• Question

• I just replaced my primary disk and did a server recovery.    In my old configuration, I had a small disk, a large disk, and an external disk.   As far as I can tell, the folders were on the second disk and duplicated onto the external drive.   Now that I have two large disks, I would like to force the server to use the two internal disks for both copies of the folders.  

After the server reinstallation, I unplugged the external disk.  I can still access the information but the console shows that all the folders are "unhealthy".   Is there any way to force the server to re-duplicate onto the new primary disk?   I tried changing the properties from duplicated to not then re-enable it but I can't see that's making any difference.    Will the server automatically re-duplicate the folders when the storage is rebalanced tomorrow?

Athena

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:07 AM

Answers

• As long as the two internal disks are added to the pool, the external disk is disconnected and duplication is switched on then it should re- duplicate.

This is incorrect. As long as the server thinks the external disk is part of server storage, it will continue to report folders are "unhealthy", and it will not duplicate files that already have a copy on the external drive.

The OP should:

• Reconnect the external drive
    • Remove it from server storage using the Windows Home Server console
    • disconnect it for repurposing after that process completes

In other words, use the documented procedure for removing a drive from server storage.

If the OP has already repurposed the drive, they can remove the "missing" disk in the console. Prior to doing so, however, she should read this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 4:58 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 11:47 AM

All replies

• As long as the two internal disks are added to the pool, the external disk is disconnected and duplication is switched on then it should re- duplicate.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:15 AM

This is incorrect. As long as the server thinks the external disk is part of server storage, it will continue to report folders are "unhealthy", and it will not duplicate files that already have a copy on the external drive.

The OP should:

• Reconnect the external drive
    • Remove it from server storage using the Windows Home Server console
    • disconnect it for repurposing after that process completes

In other words, use the documented procedure for removing a drive from server storage.

If the OP has already repurposed the drive, they can remove the "missing" disk in the console. Prior to doing so, however, she should read this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 4:58 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Okay, Ken.   That makes sense, I was afraid to remove the disk from the console before I was sure that everything was working properly -- which they are not so it's probably a good thing I haven't repurposed the drive yet.

The backup service wouldn't start on the server so I reattached the drive to get going again.

Now though, I have to figure out how to get the server to use my new giant drive.

Athena

• Edited by Athena.. _ Friday, November 16, 2012 3:31 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Apologies - I had not noticed that the external drive had not been removed from server storage.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:52 PM