Is there a way to setup SyncToy on a PC and have it so any user can run the same Folder Pair? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to sync a directory structure from a netword drive to the local drive, that part works.
    What I don't like is that I have to setup each user so they can run the same Folder Pair sync.

Is there a way to setup syncToy so everyone that uses the computer can run the same process?
    I was hoping to use a BAT file and an Icon on the All Users desktop to make this happen.

Do I need to use a different tool, or can SyncToy be made to do this?

Is RoboCopy a better tool for this purpose?
    It doen't require installing software...

Thanks

Kelvin
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Sorry we save metadata for each folder pair on a per-user basis so unless everyone is using the same login this would not be possible. Robocopy definitely does not store any data on a per-user basis ( and nor does xcopy) so maybe those would be better tools for your purposes.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

Kelvin
    • Marked as answer by Kelvin Beaton Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Sorry we save metadata for each folder pair on a per-user basis so unless everyone is using the same login this would not be possible. Robocopy definitely does not store any data on a per-user basis ( and nor does xcopy) so maybe those would be better tools for your purposes.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

Kelvin
    • Marked as answer by Kelvin Beaton Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:57 PM