Hard drive usage question RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at the issues of migrating to Vail. After reading the discussions on this migration, I am confused on how Vail hard drive usage works as compared to the current verson. I currently have over 4TB of data in my "video shared" folder on V1 with duplication. I keep reading in this forum, that individual folders can't be greater than 2T in "Vail".  Is this a true statement, if so how is one supposed to migrate to Vail (without and special application (raid, etc)?
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• Yup, without a form of RAID, you are stuck with 2TB's.  I'm not sure about the new 3TB drives, as I haven't tried them.  Without RAID, you can split your shared folders up throughout several drives, but still, your folder would be limited to the size of that drive.  I don't know that you can split a single folder to more than one drive.  I don't think so, but I may be wrong.
    D.W.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:15 PM
  • So if I am reading this right. I would have to split my current folder into 2T slices. (ie)  My videos1, my videos2, etc...
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:42 PM
  • So if I am reading this right. I would have to split my current folder into 2T slices. (ie)  My videos1, my videos2, etc...
    Yup, unless you use some kind of RAID.  Like I said, i'm also not sure about the 3TB drives that are starting to come out.

D.W.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:08 PM