none
WHS 2011 Launchpad cannot sign in after Win10 Update 1607

Question

• I posted on MS Answers and was told to go to TechNet, but I couldn't find a WHS forum. Then I found a link here (hurrah!). (I do miss the old fourms...)

Launchpad loads but cannot sign in after the 1607 update. Dashboard and Remote Decktop work fine but Shares do not - I get asked to enter 'Network Credentials' (never had that one before). I've seen several v1607 related posts here, though no answers yet. I'm going to check the Event Logs now but seem to remember them being HUGE. We'll see if I can understand anything there...

Any ideas to help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:51 AM

Answers

• We're back!

I updated WHS (two updates, which would have installed tonight, automatically, but I thought I'd' do it now) and re-booted the server: no change.

First laptop re-boot: no change.

I exited Launchpad and re-started it: no change. Then I exited Launchpad again and left it to re-start itself on next boot.

Second re-boot: success! Launchpad started itself, as normal, but now it signs in correctly. Splendid news!

Anyway, I thought I'd just let y'all know how it went this morning. (Only waisted two hours as well...)

Cheers,

Chris

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:22 AM

All replies

• I've checked the Event Logs on the server and my laptop but can see nothing relating to Launchpad of the server today. Yesterday there were several errors on the laptop events, as below:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{xxx}  and APPID  {xxx}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-xx) [several different numbers here] from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

This error related to Cortana, which I removed (ahh!), and Edge, whcih I also removed (again!). I can't imagine this impacts Launchpad, but who knows? (These errors are not there today but Launchpad still will not sign in.) I did manually 're-sign in' to access the shared folders, and that worked fine - I'm about to do a reboot to see if Shared Folder access still works...

Cheers,

Chris

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:42 AM
  • We're back!

I updated WHS (two updates, which would have installed tonight, automatically, but I thought I'd' do it now) and re-booted the server: no change.

First laptop re-boot: no change.

I exited Launchpad and re-started it: no change. Then I exited Launchpad again and left it to re-start itself on next boot.

Second re-boot: success! Launchpad started itself, as normal, but now it signs in correctly. Splendid news!

Anyway, I thought I'd just let y'all know how it went this morning. (Only waisted two hours as well...)

Cheers,

Chris

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for the information.

Best greetings form Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your details sharing, it might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:09 AM
  • I hope it'll help someone too Eve - thanks.

And it's so nice to see you again Olaf - still fighting the good fight! I remember you helping me many-a-time (in the old forums...), all the way back to WHS v1. If I didn't say so then Olaf - thank you so very much for all your help over the years. (Feel a bit guilty about Brexit now...)

Cheers,

Chris

Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:14 AM
  • I have WHS11 on a Win10 Pro desktop and the problem seems to be getting worse with time.   So I finally dug in to find out why the Launchpad loads grey, and users can not log in with their correct ID and Password.  A common solution was to uninstall Launchpad, reboot and re-install Launchpad.  That got to be irritating, especially when taking 2 or 3 updates a month or more.   What I found out is that Win10 Update shuts off some services that Launchpad needs, and for reasons unknown to me, they will not auto-start as they should after an Update.   I wrote down those services, then when Launchpad would start grey, the Services Administration tool was used to start those services, and everything was fine until the next Win 10 update.  That became tedious.  So I wrote a short bat file script that stops then starts the needed services.  Whenever Launchpad starts grey, I simply run the bat file and Launchpad is back in action. No re-booting and no reinstalling needed. 

The bat file is short and easy to make if you are unfamiliar bat files.  Using Notepad, open a new txt file and cut and paste the following code:

@echo off
    title Start WHS11 Services after a Windows 10 Update so that Launchpad works.

echo Starting WHS11 Services.

pause

net stop WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc
    net stop WSConnectorUpdate
    net stop HealthAlertsSvc

net start WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc
    net start WSConnectorUpdate
    net start HealthAlertsSvc

echo Process complete.  
    pause

Next, save the file as Launchpad.bat (not .txt).  Optionally save it as a .txt then rename it to .bat 

Double click on Launchpad.bat and the program starts. 

After the second " Press any key to continue . . ." message, the program ends.  The program can be run multiple times with no ill effects. 

If you want, save the bat file in a folder in your user data to keep all .bat file together, and make a short cut to it.  The "Run as Administrator" check box must be checked in the short cut for it to work.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:35 AM