none
Disappeared KB articles

General discussion

• Just some rant. However if any of you happened to know some KB article folks, please bring them here and see if they can do something about it.

In recent KB article cleanup, KB articles related to "out of support" systems such as WinXP or Win2003 are removed. However there are some KB articles that is still relevant to current Windows version got removed too.

Say KB290260, it talks about how a security related change introduced in WinXP can break your applications, but this change is also applied to Win2003 and all client/server SKUs afterwards. Removing this KB article removes pointer for people who are hit by this problem, and hence they can't get documentation to justify the code/guideline for support staffs changes to workaround this problem.

It'd be better if there were a way to "revive" the still-relevant KB articles, and possibly updates the "APPLIES TO" section so it won't be accidentally removed in the future .

• Edited by cheong00 Monday, April 09, 2018 10:45 AM
    Monday, April 09, 2018 9:36 AM

All replies

• They did archive a lot of it but I think they're also migrating all of it slowly over to docs.microsoft.com and from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be getting crawled yet by google for search results. I agree its a big problem. I'd probably mention it over here in dedicated forum.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/feedback

or also use the links here for feedback.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc512759.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 09, 2018 12:47 PM
  • So docs.microsoft.com is not just for documentation of TechNet and MSDN, but also for KB articles? I thought KB articles will stay at support.microsoft.com . (say, this one)

Will add feedback when I go home and have access to my GitHub account.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:44 AM