Desktop Outlook client 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to install desktop outlook client 3.0 on a machine. The machine user doesn't have local administrator privileges on CRM, SQL and SQL Server. So what i need to know is if i can do the installation with a user that has those privileges and then logon on the PC with the user's machine in order to do the outlook client configuration. Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:20 AM

Answers

•  

I know this may sound a bit obvious, but you're not trying to install the CRM server software on the user's PC by accident?

Other things to check, have you been able to install the desktop client for other users on other PCs?

Is this PC part of the domain? Is the user that you are logging on to the PC with a domain user (but it still needs to a member of local administrators)?

I'm trying to work out whether the issue is to do with your CRM server installation, the PC or the installation user.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:09 AM

All replies

•  

To install the desktop client version 3.0 you must login as the user that will use CRM and that user must have local administrator privileges.

Once CRM is installed I believe that you can remove the user from Local Administrator group.

Installing CRM as one user and then having it work for another user on the PC will not work.

There may be a workaround for this that others know.

CRM 4.0 is much better with regard to this.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:41 PM
  • The user should be local administrator on his pc or on CRM, SQL Server and Reporting Services?

Also since the desktop can be used for many users to logon to, so why can't i do the installation with a user and then do the configuration for each user alone?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:47 PM
  •  

The user that you are installing the CRM client for should be local administrator only on their own PC.

The reason that you can't do the configuration for each user afterwards is that is how the CRM 3.0 client installation works. The CRM 4.0 installation process is much simpler and does allow you to do it the way you describe.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I was trying to the installation with the pc user but i got the error saying that the user should have local administrator privileges on CRM server, SQL Server and SQL REporting Services Server.

So i doubt that making him local admin just on his pc would work.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  

I know this may sound a bit obvious, but you're not trying to install the CRM server software on the user's PC by accident?

Other things to check, have you been able to install the desktop client for other users on other PCs?

Is this PC part of the domain? Is the user that you are logging on to the PC with a domain user (but it still needs to a member of local administrators)?

I'm trying to work out whether the issue is to do with your CRM server installation, the PC or the installation user.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:09 AM