Windows is Not Genuine - Build 7600 Error encountered during reinstall of Win 7 Pro 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• About 6 months ago I upgraded a workstation from Windows XP Media Center Edition to Win 7 Pro 32 bit.  The upgrade went fine and worked for the better part of the 6 month period... but recently I encountered problems typical of a currupted Windows OS.  In the past, I've use the Windows OS disks to do a repair on the install (in this case to correct problems with explorer.exe, media player, and other network sharing problems).   I attempted to use the MAPS program DVD which was originally used in the upgrade.   The reinstall took >1 hour and so I'm afraid the PC must have gone into SLEEP mode while i was not paying attention.  Now, when the PC was awakened, it gives me a black screen (no Start Menu or anything else as it was mid install) with the error message  "Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windos is not Genuine" in the lower right corner.  

The DVD itself was provided via the MAPS program (part of their partner program of which i'm a member).   The licensing allows for multiple installs (within certain limitations of use).   I was never asked for a license key during the reinstall.   I have tried to restore the PC but it seems to be locked up.  

The posts that I've reviewed (which deal with similar issues) do not apply to my situation becuase they assume that i have some level of access to the PC (command line or other).  In this case I do not (presumably because i was mid reinstall)

Any ideas????

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:44 AM

Answers

• "m00cher" wrote in message news:f44b09fb-1e71-470d-bd04-329a2843ea7f...

About 6 months ago I upgraded a workstation from Windows XP Media Center Edition to Win 7 Pro 32 bit.  The upgrade went fine and worked for the better part of the 6 month period... but recently I encountered problems typical of a currupted Windows OS.  In the past, I've use the Windows OS disks to do a repair on the install (in this case to correct problems with explorer.exe, media player, and other network sharing problems).   I attempted to use the MAPS program DVD which was originally used in the upgrade.   The reinstall took >1 hour and so I'm afraid the PC must have gone into SLEEP mode while i was not paying attention.  Now, when the PC was awakened, it gives me a black screen (no Start Menu or anything else as it was mid install) with the error message  "Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windos is not Genuine" in the lower right corner.  

The DVD itself was provided via the MAPS program (part of their partner program of which i'm a member).   The licensing allows for multiple installs (within certain limitations of use).   I was never asked for a license key during the reinstall.   I have tried to restore the PC but it seems to be locked up.  

The posts that I've reviewed (which deal with similar issues) do not apply to my situation becuase they assume that i have some level of access to the PC (command line or other).  In this case I do not (presumably because i was mid reinstall)

Any ideas????

As far as I am aware, a repair should switch off all standby/hibernate options for the duration.
    This is not really the correct forum for your problem, as it seems more related to a failed reinstall than a validation problem at this stage.
    I would recommend reposting it in the Windows 7 Install or Repair Answers forums

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:16 AM