Difficulty passing Exam 70-515 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

Any tips or suggestions on passing the subject exam, 70-515; MSFT:.NET Framwork 4.0, Web Applications Development?

Within our organization we have used all resources available; Measure Up, Transcender, and the Microsoft book and exam kit, and CBT Nuggets with limited success.

I have been told that less than 30% pass the first time, and have not found any statistics on how many retakes to secure completion (pass).  Has anyone else experienced this themselves or within their organization? If so, how did you conquer this challenge? 

Thank you in advance for you help.

Louanne

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:07 AM

Answers

• That's strange, when I took 70-515 it didn't seem to me to be a particularly difficult exam. I didn't study almost anything for it, I just took it with my existing knowledge of version 3.5 plus a very brief review of the few topics that are new in version 4.0 (such as jQuery or MVC). However, I did have extensive experience developing real-world ASP.NET applications. The exam description page recommends that "Candidates should have a minimum of two to three years of experience developing Web-based applications by using Visual Studio and Microsoft ASP.NET." Did the people in your organization who failed the exam actually have this experience, or did they just study the training materials?

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, November 25, 2011 6:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:51 AM

All replies

• That's strange, when I took 70-515 it didn't seem to me to be a particularly difficult exam. I didn't study almost anything for it, I just took it with my existing knowledge of version 3.5 plus a very brief review of the few topics that are new in version 4.0 (such as jQuery or MVC). However, I did have extensive experience developing real-world ASP.NET applications. The exam description page recommends that "Candidates should have a minimum of two to three years of experience developing Web-based applications by using Visual Studio and Microsoft ASP.NET." Did the people in your organization who failed the exam actually have this experience, or did they just study the training materials?

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, November 25, 2011 6:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Louanne,

I would have to agree with you that the 70-515 exam seems unusually difficult compared to other Microsoft exams I've taken in the past. I have read the MS press book (Northrup) cover to cover, have viewed training videos on Pluralsight, trained with both the Measureup practice exams as well as Transcender and failed the exam on my first try. I have been using ASP.Net daily in a professional capacity since 2002, every version from 1.0 - 4.0. I've been using 4.0 since 2010, and preparing for this exam has introduced me to many concepts I had not used before. While I have learned a lot from my study, I don't see how I can ever pass this test based on the types of minutae that the exam questions focus on. 

For example, the book briefly mentions action filters on p.856, there are two very short paragraphs about them. However, the practice test software that comes with the book has a very specific question regarding which ActionFilter is appropriate for caching output. Fair enough, I understand that for a full understanding of these topics one should also refer to MSDN documentation. However, upon referencing the MSDN documentation to understand why I missed this question, I found this was only briefly mentioned in passing:

The OnResultExecuted method is called just after the result is executed. These methods are useful for performing actions such as logging, output caching, and so forth.
    Here is the link to the actual MSDN page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd381609.aspx

Honestly, even if I HAD read this particular MSDN document before encountering that question, the likelihood that I would have picked up on that small blurb, and actually retained it is virtually zero.

In previous tests, MS would add difficulty to their exams by using tricky wording, or providing options that are very similar except for minor syntax differences. They still do that, but now they appear to be focusing on the most obscure parts of the technology exclusively as fodder for exam questions. It seems to be less of a benchmark of an understanding of the technology, and more on verbatim memorization of MSDN docs.

All I can say is, good luck with your efforts and I can completely empathize with you!

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:35 AM