Cannot install windows server connector on win 7 64 bit computer due to connector trying to install .net framework 2.0 for 32 bit system RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install the connector on my win 7 64 bit, I get the error that it cannot install .net 2.0 because it's trying to install a 32 bit version of the software. How can I get around this? This is occurring after upgrading my HP Mediasmart server ex470 to version 3.3 of the windows home server software.

One thought was to try to install the software from a file, but every time I try to install the connector, it always wants to download it from my server. And I'm guessing what's on my server is incorrect. That being said, I have this on my server under the home server connector folder: 

install.exe 10/16/2007

setup.exe 10/7/2009

whs_connectorhelp.chm 2/20/2009

whsconnector.msi 10/7/2009

whsconnector_x64.msi 10/7/2009

whsconnectorinstall.exe 10/7/2009

whsversionupgrade.dll 10/7/2009

whsversionupgrade_x64.dll 10/7/2009

Any help is greatly appreciated. FYI: connnector installed fine on my 32 bit xp and vista systems. Thanks.

Roman

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:26 PM

All replies

• In order to complete configuration of your HP MediaSmart Server with upgraded software (which required, I think, a factory reset), you may be able to open the URL http://server:55000 to install the connector. 

But if you need an updated Connector CD to match the server (you may, as I haven't installed that update) HP should have supplied one. If they didn't you may be forced to use a 32 bit computer to complete configuration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I did try the option of installing off of the server (http://server: 55000), and it downloads from the software from the server and then tries to install .net 2.0; that's where it stops, since for whatever reason it's trying to install a 32 bit version. I've also tried all the CDs that HP supplied, as well as downloading the 64 bit connector from the web. But again, it's not really the solution. Because even the downloaded software tries to install the connector from my server.

Just to be clear: the server is up and running with the new version of the server software. The problem is that I cannot install the connector on my 64 bit system, and therefore can't auto-backup my files from that computer. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Roman

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Did you apply the  WHS upgrades via console? Which version number shows your server in Settings/Resources?

Eventually you also could install .NET Framework 2.0 or later first (download it from Internet or Microsoft Update) - or maybe the local .NET Framework version is corrupt and therefore not detected properly.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Interesting. Maybe I will try to uninstall .net (I think it's 3.5.1 on my system) and then reinstall it. I tried to install the .net 2.0 for 64 bit, but then my computer would say that it's already installed (I think it's a part of the .net 3.5.1). 

I did do all of the upgrades on the console. Version number for everything is 6.0.2423.0. 

Thanks for the ideas...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Hmm... not so easy to uninstall .net 3.5.1 from windows 7. Any other ideas? Thanks...
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:24 PM
  • You can uninstall .NET 3.5.1 by going to Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off

Try installing the connector using the method Ken described above or by navigating to \\<NameOfHomeServer>\Software and executing the WHSConnectorInstall.exe file from there (it should detect x86 or x64 automatically). Assuming PowerPack 3 is installed (by the look of the file dates is appears that way), the connector should install just fine.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Thanks. I turned off .net 3.5.1, tried to install the connector from the 55000 port, and when it go to the part where it wanted to install .net 2.0, the same result occurred. I think I'm just going to have to live with not having it on my win 7 machine. It's too bad because I really need it here more than anywhere. Thanks for all your help...
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:14 PM
  • On 6/2/2010 6:14 PM, rt1212121 wrote:
    > Thanks. I turned off .net 3.5.1, tried to install the connector from the
    > 55000 port, and when it go to the part where it wanted to install .net
    > 2.0, the same result occurred. I think I'm just going to have to live
    > with not having it on my win 7 machine. It's too bad because I really
    > need it here more than anywhere. Thanks for all your help...

Hello there,

You can try doing a reinstallation of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from
    this link
    Specifically at the bottom, there is a link to the full installation
    file
    If presented with the option to repair, that is the choice I would take.
    (The links may not be clickable, in which case you need to copy and
    paste them)

The .NET Framework 3.5 is built upon .NET Framework 2.0, so it will have
    the necessary components that the Connector Software needs.

Hope this helps you, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

--
    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated your OS and Antivirus today?

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:27 AM