Media Receivers - Windows XP Config? iTunes Playlists? Ratings? Sync w/iPod? RRS feed

• Question

• I have my trusty EX 485 and decided to give the iTunes server a go.  WHS already recognized my Win7 64bit computer as a media receiver.  I went to TwonkyMedia and edited the corresponding MAC address and changed it to "Windows 7" from "Generic Media Receiver".  I noticed that iTunes had already picked up on my Server for iTunes, which I had configured just a bit before.

So now I have a few questions, after playing a bit with iTunes (I'm using version 10.0.1.22 64bit).

1. When configuring the WinXP (32 bit, SP3) computers on the network, how should I add them to TwonkyMedia?  "Generic Media Receiver"?  "Generic DLNA 1.0"?
    2. There's music that I want to let the kids listen to, and there's music that I'd rather they didn't have access to just yet.  Do I do this by adding another Music folder?  How would I then further control access to this folder?
    3. I notice that I can't add a rating to a particular song that is sourced from WHS.  It also appears that I can't create a playlist either.  I'm assuming then that I can't sync an iPod to the server either, although I haven't tried.  There is a playlist folder under 'SHARED', and there's even a playlist in there called 'TECHNOLIST'.  I don't know where it comes from, it's empty, and I can't seem to add any music to it.  How do I create a playlist from the songs from the iTunes server, how do I add ratings, and how can I sync an iPod to it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:25 AM

Answers

• Probably you'll add your XP computers as generic receivers. Play around with it, though, and maybe consult the documentation. Segregating your music from your kids' music isn't easy when you're putting it all on a streaming server. Streaming servers are really designed to just let everyone have access to everything. There's no security that gets "passed through" to clients. And no, nothing that's streamed from your server can be modified in any way. Streaming is really just a way to start playing back a media file before it's fully downloaded, and without saving it permanently anywhere. It's not like accessing a file in the server's shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Friday, September 30, 2011 4:37 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:32 AM

All replies

• Probably you'll add your XP computers as generic receivers. Play around with it, though, and maybe consult the documentation. Segregating your music from your kids' music isn't easy when you're putting it all on a streaming server. Streaming servers are really designed to just let everyone have access to everything. There's no security that gets "passed through" to clients. And no, nothing that's streamed from your server can be modified in any way. Streaming is really just a way to start playing back a media file before it's fully downloaded, and without saving it permanently anywhere. It's not like accessing a file in the server's shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Friday, September 30, 2011 4:37 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Well, technically speaking, if WHS compares existing backups to new backups, and the same files are on each computer, there should be only one copy of the files on the server, correct?  If that's the case, I could simply copy the "appropriate" files to each computer and let them sit there.

Does that sound about right to you?

Where would "the documentation" be?

Any ideas about the playlists?  A quick google shows that I'm not the only one with issues with this.

Thanks again for the help!

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:10 AM