WHS only connects directly to cable modem not to switch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,  I'm having a headache of a time connecting my new WHS to my network.

Current configuration is cable modem -> Linksys router -> SMC GB Switch -> home PC's.  All wired.

Now, if I plug the WHS into the switch, I get no connection (A network cable is unplugged).  If I give a static IP then I get no WINS.

If I plug into the router I get limited or no connectivity (No WINS)

The only way it works is directly into the cable modem.  This works perfectly but only if I plug PC's into the modem as it is before the router and switch.  This defeats the whole purpose of a GB switch plus, the modem only has 4 ports.

This is a new install of WHS.

Any ideas? Is this some weird setup?  It's worked perfectly for years no matter where I set up a network.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:08 PM

All replies

• The first thing to do: Try a different port on the switch. Next try a different network cable.

If that doesn't do it: Configure your server and a client computer for DHCP then disconnect the switch from the router and reboot everything. This will leave the client computer and the server using APIPA for addressing, so they are guaranteed to be on the same subnet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Hi Ken and thanks for the help.

I've tried different ports and cables that I know work and a different card.

If I'm reading you right, you're saying connect the switch to the modem without the router at all?

Well, first off I get 'A network cable is unplugged' even after the reboot of server, modem and switch.  Secondly, no one can connect unless I plug directly into the modem still.  No router or switch.  Had to reconnect to the router to turn of DHCP and get back here to reply :)

What baffles me is that it's only the WHS box that's having trouble.  All the other configurations work on all the pc's except that one.

Maybe I'm missing something completely in the setup.  Should the WHS be an acquired IP or does it matter?  Should it do the DHCP or can I keep my router doing it? The install manual for WHS is pretty sparse on details.

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:42 PM
  • If I'm reading you right, you're saying connect the switch to the modem without the router at all?

Nope. To simplify things to the max: take a network cable. Plug one end into your server, and the other end into a client computer. No switch, no modem, no router, no internet. Configure both to use DHCP. Reboot both. See what happens. If you can't establish a connection in those conditions, you have a hardware or driver problem on one end or the other, probably your server. If you can, put the switch in the middle and see what happens.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 11:14 PM
  • OK, I'm not sure if this cable is faulty (it appears to be slightly faulty).  It works fine in three other PC's with all three configurations.

modem -> switch -> PC

modem -> router -> PC

modem -> router -> switch -> PC

But in the WHS PC it's intermittent.  No IP in one config, not connected in another but straight from the modem it's perfect.  Maybe compatibility issue?  Never seen that with a LAN cable but stranger things have happened.

Anyway, thanks again Ken and I hope this helps some in the future :)

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:59 PM