Migrating CRM to new deployment, migrating sites / resource groups / services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to migrate over records from the core CRM entities into a new deployment, while retaining the functionality of workflows etc of my custom entities that have been migrated over.

An example issue:

Entity 'custom1' has a workflow that creates a service activity a week from today for 'service_1', on a 'site_1', with a specific resource group. This entity has been moved from 'deployment_old' to 'deployment_new'. 

However on 'deployment_new' the sites / resource groups / service have not been defined. 

What I've tried is go to 'deployment_old', export the sites (for starters) to excel, save as CSV. Then go into data maps to build a data map to import these sites over. BUT, the data map is asking me for a required field 'time zone' which my spreadsheet doesn't have (I've even selected ALL columns from old sites to export). 

And even if this were to work, my guess would be that all the sites on 'deployment_new' would have different GUIDs which means the workflows, which under the hood would be linked to the GUID of the site rather than the text, would not work anyway as they're trying to find a GUID of the 'deployment_old' box rather than the new updated GUID from the import.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:32 AM

All replies

• Does moving the old CRM database over to the new server and importing the organisation not fit your scenario?

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Check out the CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM Forum Guidance on how to Help Us Help You
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Unfortunately nope - it's a whole new entity model in the new box and things have been shuffled about a fair bit, we can't lose those changes...

There's also heaps of stuff from the old environment that we don't want to move over. Hence the manual process :)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I haven't tried importing some 'system' records that have a timezone, but as far as I can recall, timezone is stored as an integer. So it was just a matter of importing lots of test records with a timezone column and different values until I found the right integer for my timezone (e.g. 12 = UTC+0).

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:29 PM