MsMpEng.exe Conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I Just found after reading the MsMpEng.exe links that Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition was creating a conflict that by disabling the live ad-aware scan and closing the tray icon reduced my CPUs usage from 15% peaking to less than 8%! Thanks to all for the very useful forum discussion on the heart of OC! By the way, my subscription runs out Sept. 17, 2009. Should I be looking for an alternative to OC? As a refugee from Norton IS hogging and slogging (which I heard was somewhat fixed by their 360 versions of AV), I am loathe to move away from OC which I agree with Steve, is a very stable overall product as long as you don't pile on too many layers of Real time conflict software. I am sad to see OC go.

Thanks in advance,
    Richspacenuke
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:52 AM

Answers

• Glad that the information in the forum helped you out. If your subscription is expiring in September, you will probably be getting an extension to your subscription for free at that time unless Microsoft Security Essentials is already released by then. MSE is built on the same engine as OneCare, but does not include all of the other features of OneCare such as backup, wireless security, printer sharing, and the Circle. It is also free and does not require activation with a subscription/LiveID.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:40 AM