Cannot import amended customization (Sitemap.xml) back into CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulty importing an amended sitemap into CRM 4.0  (We are using CRM 4.0, Rollup 8)

I am attempting to change the CRM navigation pane on the left, by adding an existing SubArea element to a different Area.

This is a procedure which I have done successfully several times in the past, re-ordering navigation elements, hiding elements, adding links to custom reports etc. 

Issue
    =====
    I export the Sitemap.xml (go to Settings - Export Customizations - Sitemap.xml)
    I then make an amendment, but when I try to upload the Sitemap.xml back into CRM I always get the message 'Either the file could not be uploaded or this is not a valid Customization file'.

Even if I try a simple modification, as simple as copying an existing SubArea element and pasting it in another area, I get the same error.

I have used XML Notepad, EditPad and Notepad to see if this was a formatting issue - but it doesn't seem to be.

I would appreciate an ideas on why this could be happening or how to troubleshoot this issue - as I mentioned before, it is a procedure I have done several times before and i'm stumped why it isn't working now.

Thanks!

Monday, January 4, 2010 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Sen,

if you use an exising SubArea you have to change the Ids of the subArea, each ID must be unique.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Marked as answer by Sen_London Monday, January 4, 2010 4:33 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• "Either the file could not be uploaded or this is not a valid Customization file" error comes if there is any problem in XML file. I suggest open the file in Visual studio and then try close one node at time in visual studio in site map xml...node which will have problem will not get closed so you can correct it there..

another option is to user MS CRM Demostration Tools to modify site map..this tool provides UI so that you can easily change CRM Navigation..see following link for more details on this
    http://wareseeker.com/Network-Internet/microsoft-dynamics-crm-demonstration-tools-1.0.zip/3505310

Monday, January 4, 2010 11:45 AM
    Answerer
  • I would like to reccoment tool : IsvConfigManager which is  brilliant.
    You can check and download from author site: http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com/

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hi Sen,

if you use an exising SubArea you have to change the Ids of the subArea, each ID must be unique.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Marked as answer by Sen_London Monday, January 4, 2010 4:33 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Thanks for your replies.

Thanks, Michael - It did turn out to be a SubArea ID issue! My only excuse for overlooking this was that it's the first day back at work after the festive season, so obviously my brain isn't working properly yet!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:38 PM