Acer H340 server not booting into WHS RRS feed

• Question

• A data drive just failed in my Acer server. After a reboot, the server is no longer loading WHS properly. After powering up, the blue 'i' status light is flashing and stays that way, but that's all. Any suggestions?

The system is having difficulty with the defective drive. If I just try to boot up with the missing drive, it won't boot. If I remove the other drives, it will boot up. But now I have no idea which drive is the bad drive to remove in the console because more than one drives have the same name. To make matters worse I think the WHS console may be reporting incorrect serial numbers and getting them mixed up.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:01 AM

All replies

• A data drive just failed in my Acer server. After a reboot, the server is no longer loading WHS properly. After powering up, the blue 'i' status light is flashing and stays that way, but that's all. Any suggestions?

The system is having difficulty with the defective drive. If I just try to boot up with the missing drive, it won't boot. If I remove the other drives, it will boot up. But now I have no idea which drive is the bad drive to remove in the console because more than one drives have the same name. To make matters worse I think the WHS console may be reporting incorrect serial numbers and getting them mixed up.

Are you sure that the drive is the problem. MS has just pushed an update to WHS and my H340 won't boot either, or, more accurately, it does a load of activity and closes down. Oops ... whilst writing this I managed to connect after the third reboot attempt but the WHS immediately closed down. The upgrade is referred to at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979453.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:17 AM
  • That drive is dead because when I try to connect it to my other PC, it does not power up.

WHS failed to boot up again as long as
    1) The bad drive stayed in the server
    2) The bad drive was taken out of the server but the other drives remained as they were

The only time it booted up again was when all non-OS drives were taken out.

WHS console now reports that the dead drive (the serial number) is "healthy" inside an enclosure attached to the server, which shows that WHS indeed got the drives mixed up. This is bad becuase I could have believed the console and asked it to remove the good drive instead.

Some of my media files seem corrupt.

...As I type this I just lost connection to the server again.
    It's stuck at boot up, even though I asked it to remove the missing drive overnight. Back to square one.

I'm getting a bit sick of this. It's one thing to lose files due to a broken drive, but something else to allow one bad drive to take out a server.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for the clue.   Around 8/28 my Acer H340 refused to boot, reloading OS works fine until the lates MS upgrade is applied, then same peroblem.    I'll try reloading again sans this update, will report back how it goes.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 4:45 AM
  • That drive is dead because when I try to connect it to my other PC, it does not power up.

I stand corrected. The drive was alive and well in a later attempt, and passed diagnostic tests too. I'm not certain what the problem was but suspected that it may have been one bad SATA slot, or the backplane, since my server failures have seemed to be tied to drives in that slot. The enclosure ran very hot in default conditions, with the drives typically reaching more than 50 degrees celsius.

After I called Acer and described the problem, the hardworking reps (they hung up on me once after putting me on hold, so I spent some time repeating myself) were eager to assure me that the unit will be taken care of after I send it in. I delivered the server to the local service department. They said they'll ship it back in a week. Instead they were kind enough to return it after one day. What did they do? Changed the one hard drive in the server and shipped the whole thing right back. Fantastic, as I'm almost certain they have professionally isolated the sole source of my woes. I'm going to eventually get my all new killer setup fired up and enjoy what will surely be a reliable machine that will not fail again soon.

Meanwhile, I built myself an UnRAID server. It's nice.

Oh forgot to add: the new harddrive Acer got me was sealed with nothing in it.

Friday, September 3, 2010 2:37 AM