Vail and Xbox 360? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using my Xbox 360 for all my entertainment needs so I'm wondering if there are any improvements in Vail that will affect the 360 directly.

I have noticed from my limited testing that there are proper thumbnails for videos but aside from that I have yet to run into anything obvious.

As I understand there will be no transcoding on the fly from Matroska (.mkv) to a format that is supported on the 360, is that correct?

When phrases like "improved streaming" and "improved transcoding" are used, are you mainly talking about the web experience?

If I use another client than the 360, would I be able to take advantage of more of Vails features?

I understand that these questions are very specific but it would seem to be in Microsofts best interest to leverage the 360 as much as possible when using it with Vail.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:56 AM

Answers

• The mkv format is not listed as even having support planned for a future build, so no, no mkv support.

I would say that the improvements in the streaming and transcoding areas are primarily aimed at the web experience, yes, but the whole "media handling" feature set is more robust and useful than V1, (more formats supported, petter user experience, DLNA support, etc.). As for other clients, a different DLNA player (your Xbox is capable of acting as one, but it's not a Media Center experience) would give you a different experience, depending on the capabilities of the particular device.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:42 PM
  • I believe it’s the Thumbnails being the most visible.  The infrastructure of course is completely new.  Out of the box V1 used “Windows Media Connect”, now we use full DLNA compliant streaming.  Thus we don’t only support the xbox anymore, we support any DLNA compliant device.  Such as streaming pictures to my Kodak picture frame.  That’s kinda cool!

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:36ef655e-1411-4173-871b-50ec46fc8f54...

The mkv format is not listed as even having support planned for a future build, so no, no mkv support.

I would say that the improvements in the streaming and transcoding areas are primarily aimed at the web experience, yes, but the whole "media handling" feature set is more robust and useful than V1, (more formats supported, petter user experience, DLNA support, etc.). As for other clients, a different DLNA player (your Xbox is capable of acting as one, but it's not a Media Center experience) would give you a different experience, depending on the capabilities of the particular device.

Monday, May 10, 2010 4:04 PM

All replies

• The mkv format is not listed as even having support planned for a future build, so no, no mkv support.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:42 PM
  • I believe it’s the Thumbnails being the most visible.  The infrastructure of course is completely new.  Out of the box V1 used “Windows Media Connect”, now we use full DLNA compliant streaming.  Thus we don’t only support the xbox anymore, we support any DLNA compliant device.  Such as streaming pictures to my Kodak picture frame.  That’s kinda cool!

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:36ef655e-1411-4173-871b-50ec46fc8f54...

The mkv format is not listed as even having support planned for a future build, so no, no mkv support.

Monday, May 10, 2010 4:04 PM