Backup Failure with new HP Mediasmart RRS feed

• Question

• New to the world of WHS and having a significant issue with backups. I just purchased a new HP Mediasmart EX 485 and spent the weekend getting it set up with a new PC running Vista 64. Everything installed smoothly, and I can pull up the console as well as the shared folders. What I cannot get to run is any sort of backup--manual or automatic. If I start a manual backup of the new PC, the backup runs to 4% where it indicates it is checking clusters for any changes, and then it stalls out and tells me there is a problem with the Windows Home Server software. I get the same error message if I try to back up a laptop running on the same network (except it is connected wirelessly whereas the first PC is a desktop running wired). If I navigate to the Backup tab on the WHS console, the details on the error read:

An unexpected error occurred on the server when calling an API.
    IWbemLocator::ConnectServer

Looking at the error logs, I simultaneously see the following:

Unexpected error 0x80041002 from IWbemLocator::ConnectServer:
    Unknown error 0x80041002

Client backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(471)

There also seems to be an error associated with WinMgmt.

Since I see the error with either computer, it would appear that the problem resides on the server itself. I do not currently have remote access set up. Any ideas on the source of the problem and any fixes other than returning the server to HP for a new unit?
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers

• DocCincy said:

New to the world of WHS and having a significant issue with backups. I just purchased a new HP Mediasmart EX 485 and spent the weekend getting it set up with a new PC running Vista 64. Everything installed smoothly, and I can pull up the console as well as the shared folders. What I cannot get to run is any sort of backup--manual or automatic. If I start a manual backup of the new PC, the backup runs to 4% where it indicates it is checking clusters for any changes, and then it stalls out and tells me there is a problem with the Windows Home Server software. I get the same error message if I try to back up a laptop running on the same network (except it is connected wirelessly whereas the first PC is a desktop running wired). If I navigate to the Backup tab on the WHS console, the details on the error read:

Unknown error 0x80041002

Client backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(471)

Since I see the error with either computer, it would appear that the problem resides on the server itself. I do not currently have remote access set up. Any ideas on the source of the problem and any fixes other than returning the server to HP for a new unit?

You should file a bug report on Connect.  However, just out of curiosity, have you installed/uninstalled any add-ins or apps?
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:05 PM

All replies

• DocCincy said:

New to the world of WHS and having a significant issue with backups. I just purchased a new HP Mediasmart EX 485 and spent the weekend getting it set up with a new PC running Vista 64. Everything installed smoothly, and I can pull up the console as well as the shared folders. What I cannot get to run is any sort of backup--manual or automatic. If I start a manual backup of the new PC, the backup runs to 4% where it indicates it is checking clusters for any changes, and then it stalls out and tells me there is a problem with the Windows Home Server software. I get the same error message if I try to back up a laptop running on the same network (except it is connected wirelessly whereas the first PC is a desktop running wired). If I navigate to the Backup tab on the WHS console, the details on the error read:

Unknown error 0x80041002

You should file a bug report on Connect.  However, just out of curiosity, have you installed/uninstalled any add-ins or apps?
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:05 PM
  • The only installed add-ins are the ones that came with the server (McAfee Total Protection Service being the only one I remember at the moment) and the Toolkit designed for the 64 bit version of Vista. No other apps installed. I can file a bug report on Connect once I'm home this evening.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:12 PM