Can I migrate from Win2K Server network to WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best strategy to dismantle my Win2K network and migrate my mirrored drives data to WHS?  These posts are full of horrer stories of RAID vs WHS.  My Win2K server holds all of my data in shared folders on software mirrored 160G drives.  I want to dismantle the Win2K network and let WHS do all the work, but especially I want to protect my data and end up with it all on my WHS box.  Would copying the data to an XP client that will be connected to the WHS be safest?  Can I then copy the data from the XP box to a new drive in the WHS box?
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• What is the best strategy to dismantle my Win2K network and migrate my mirrored drives data to WHS?  These posts are full of horrer stories of RAID vs WHS.  My Win2K server holds all of my data in shared folders on software mirrored 160G drives.  I want to dismantle the Win2K network and let WHS do all the work, but especially I want to protect my data and end up with it all on my WHS box.  Would copying the data to an XP client that will be connected to the WHS be safest?  Can I then copy the data from the XP box to a new drive in the WHS box?
    If both servers will be online at the same time, you should copy the data directly from your Server 2000 shares to your WHS shares.  If not, the safest would be to copy from your Server 2000 shares to a client (XP, Vista, 7), then to your WHS shares.  Also, I don't know what "horror stories" you're referring to, but note that RAID is unsupported on WHS.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:51 PM