Restore fails - "unable to refresh RestoreWizard from your server" error message RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server on an HP MediaSmart Server EX485

After upgrading the hard drives in my desktop PC, I have tried to restore the backup for that machine. I boot from the PC Restore CD, chose the correct backup, and everything works just fine, progress bar and all.

Until at the very end, I recive the following error message:

"unable to refresh RestoreWizard from yor server, Your server may be an older version of Windows Home Server than this CD or your server may be damaged, we will attempt a restore with an older version."

The only option here is "OK". When I click OK, the restore process starts over, but at the end, I get the same error message.

HP support draws a blank.

Anybody got any idea what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks!

K.
    • Edited by KrishnasPad Friday, June 26, 2009 5:44 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:35 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server on an HP MediaSmart Server EX485

After upgrading the hard drives in my desktop PC, I have tried to restore the backup for that machine. I boot from the PC Restore CD, chose the correct backup, and everything works just fine, progress bar and all.

Until at the very end, I recive the following error message:

"unable to refresh RestoreWizard from your server, Your server may be an older version of Windows Home Server than this CD or your server may be damaged, we will attempt a restore with an older version."

The only option here is "OK". When I click OK, the restore process starts over, but at the end, I get the same error message.

HP support draws a blank.

Anybody got any idea what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks!

K.
    Have you tried the latest WHS restore CD?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Thank you Kariya!

>>Have you tried the latest WHS restore CD ?<<

I did. No change. First time around I get the above error message, second time around the WHS recovery program instead seems to restart itself to the language selection prompt, third time around I get the error message again.

K.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Do you have a second client PC available?
    In this case you can try to follow the process How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.
    If this is no option, you can try to login on the server via Remote Desktop (or use WHS Toolkit) to analyse the event log for more detailed error messages.
    The message itself should be somewhat normal, since the WHS Restore CD is older than the latest WHS version. As long as there is a stable network connection, restore should still work.
    Is the connection of the PC a wired connection? Wireless is not supported and will usually not function. Did you try different Network cables/ports on the switch?
    You can also try to connect only the server and the client to a separate switch (eventually disconnecting the router from the Internet may also work) to circumvent name resolution issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Hallo Olaf, danke!

No, I don't have another PC available to restore the hard drives unfortunately.

But never mind, I've been without a desktop for several days now and I'll just restore manually now.

Best

Karsten
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:05 PM