WHS 2011 Storage Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for WHS 2011 Arcuitecture information as to storage handling similar to the "Technical Brief for Windows Home Server Drive Extender (published in October 2007) to attain a similar understanding of the new Data Store. I am specifically interested in: 1, How data is distributed across physical drives? 2, Is the Data Store accessible as normal files; e.g.via Windows Explorer? 3. Is WHS OS installed on a drive separate from the Data Store? 4. How is the Data Store related/managed by the OS? 5. Can WHS be installed/reinstalled without affecting/losing the Data Store? In short, can I protect my data independent of the OS and visa versa (e.g., RAID the Data Store and Backup/restore the OS locally via a third party backup product)? I would like to be able to count on WHS being there when I need it which cannot be said of the original WHS version I am running.
    Doug
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:39 PM

Answers

• Underlining makes your post difficult to read, but here goes:

1. You tell WHS2011 where to store its data. Each drive has its own drive letter.

2. Yes

3. OS takes 60GB of your first hard disk (C:), the rest of that disk is available as storage (D:)

4. It's not if you are taking about location and space management - it's all manual. Data and the server can be backed up regularly.

5. Yes, other than what you have stored on your first HDD - that is formatted if you reinstall and you recover that data from a server backup.

Backups are limited to 2GB but you can rotate external drives for offsite storage. As there is no concept of Drive Extender, there is only one copy of your data on the server until backup runs (can be set for 30 minute intervals) so RAID may be appropriate if you want immediate protection.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Doug Speer Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Doug Speer Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doug Speer Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:42 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:46 PM
  • "Does this mean there can/will be multiple copies of the same data, data through time...?"

Yes, but not in the same way as if you were running RAID or as with Duplication on WHS1. Data will be in the Shared Folders and backed up at the frequency you choose for your backups. So if you save a file to a shared folder (which is not on a RAID) only a single copy of that data exists until the next server backup.

"Also, it seems knowledge of where to store each desktop's backup must exist.  Is this stored with the OS or Data Store or not at all? If not at all, how is the backup data directed? If stored with the OS, must the setup be recreated after an OS rienstallation?"

Client backups are similar to your shared folders in that they reside at a location dictated by you, via the Dashboard - in a folder inventively named "Client Computer Backups" - all clients are backed up to the same location. Unlike your Shared Folders though, they don't show up as shared folders to a client. They can be backed up as part of the Server backup process.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Doug Speer Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:43 PM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Doug

The Dashboard is part of the Server and should be restored as part of a Server restore.

To restore the server system drive

1. Insert the Windows® Home Server 2011 installation DVD in the server DVD drive, restart the server, and then press any key to start from the DVD.

2. After the Windows files load, click Repair an existing installation.

3. On the Select a system image backup page, you can choose to use the latest backup or you can select an earlier backup. The system will be restored to the state that it was at the time of the backup that you choose for restoring or repairing your server. Data that was added or setting changes that were made after that time must be recreated.

4. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

5. After the server is successfully restored, click Close to restart the server.

If you replaced Disk 0 or if the partition information on Disk 0 was bad, you must restore the data that was stored on Disk 0 by using the Restore Files and Folders wizard. For information about restoring data, see Learn more about restoring files and folders.

If you created additional shared folders, after you restore the system drive from the backup, the shared folders are still on the data partition or were restored to the data partition, but might not be recognized by the server. You must share those folders again.

• Marked as answer by Doug Speer Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:23 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:49 PM
  • From what document is the information in your last post?

It's in the online help. You can "obtain a copy" by Reading The Fine Manual. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Doug

Click here:

Online Help for Administrators

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:00 PM

All replies

• Underlining makes your post difficult to read, but here goes:

1. You tell WHS2011 where to store its data. Each drive has its own drive letter.

2. Yes

3. OS takes 60GB of your first hard disk (C:), the rest of that disk is available as storage (D:)

4. It's not if you are taking about location and space management - it's all manual. Data and the server can be backed up regularly.

5. Yes, other than what you have stored on your first HDD - that is formatted if you reinstall and you recover that data from a server backup.

Backups are limited to 2GB but you can rotate external drives for offsite storage. As there is no concept of Drive Extender, there is only one copy of your data on the server until backup runs (can be set for 30 minute intervals) so RAID may be appropriate if you want immediate protection.

• Marked as answer by Doug Speer Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Doug Speer Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doug Speer Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:42 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:46 PM
  • PhilipJH,

Sorry for the underlines - started typing and they were there so thought normal as I have not posted here for awhile.

Thanks for your direct and concise answers to my questions. Would you please elaborate on your last paragraph regarding "one copy of your data on the server until backup runs".  Does this mean there can/will be multiple copies of the same data, data through time...?

Thanks again

Doug
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:14 PM
  • PhilipJH

Also, it seems knowledge of where to store each desktop's backup must exist.  Is this stored with the OS or Data Store or not at all? If not at all, how is the backup data directed? If stored with the OS, must the setup be recreated after an OS rienstallation?

Thanks.

Doug
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:33 PM
  • "Does this mean there can/will be multiple copies of the same data, data through time...?"

Yes, but not in the same way as if you were running RAID or as with Duplication on WHS1. Data will be in the Shared Folders and backed up at the frequency you choose for your backups. So if you save a file to a shared folder (which is not on a RAID) only a single copy of that data exists until the next server backup.

"Also, it seems knowledge of where to store each desktop's backup must exist.  Is this stored with the OS or Data Store or not at all? If not at all, how is the backup data directed? If stored with the OS, must the setup be recreated after an OS rienstallation?"

Client backups are similar to your shared folders in that they reside at a location dictated by you, via the Dashboard - in a folder inventively named "Client Computer Backups" - all clients are backed up to the same location. Unlike your Shared Folders though, they don't show up as shared folders to a client. They can be backed up as part of the Server backup process.

• Marked as answer by Doug Speer Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:43 PM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:47 AM
  • PhillipJH

I now understand how Windows Home Server 2011 works.

Thanks again.

Doug
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:20 AM
  • PhillipJH

One more question.  Where is the Dashboard/Configuration data stored: client, server OS, server client backuup or server shares?  My thought is, should it be necessary to restore/reinstall the OS or move all the drives to a different computer (installing the OS), how is the dashboard/configuration data recovered/reconnected/reestablished providing access to my data?

Thanks.

Doug
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Doug

The Dashboard is part of the Server and should be restored as part of a Server restore.

To restore the server system drive

1. Insert the Windows® Home Server 2011 installation DVD in the server DVD drive, restart the server, and then press any key to start from the DVD.

2. After the Windows files load, click Repair an existing installation.

3. On the Select a system image backup page, you can choose to use the latest backup or you can select an earlier backup. The system will be restored to the state that it was at the time of the backup that you choose for restoring or repairing your server. Data that was added or setting changes that were made after that time must be recreated.

4. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

5. After the server is successfully restored, click Close to restart the server.

If you replaced Disk 0 or if the partition information on Disk 0 was bad, you must restore the data that was stored on Disk 0 by using the Restore Files and Folders wizard. For information about restoring data, see Learn more about restoring files and folders.

If you created additional shared folders, after you restore the system drive from the backup, the shared folders are still on the data partition or were restored to the data partition, but might not be recognized by the server. You must share those folders again.

Monday, July 4, 2011 11:49 PM
  • PhillipJH

From what document is the information in your last post? How can I obatin a copy?

My WHS 2011 is on its way from Newegg.

Thanks so much for your help.

Doug
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:44 PM
  • From what document is the information in your last post?

It's in the online help. You can "obtain a copy" by Reading The Fine Manual. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Doug

Click here:

Online Help for Administrators

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:00 PM