WHS Remote Access - Intermittent RRS feed

• Question

• I have been successful in gaining remote access to my home server using https://myname.homersver.com BUT then it stopped working. I remember repairing it and it worked for a while. Then it stopped working for a long time and I was too busy to dedicate the time to troubleshooting this. Just recently I got it to work again for one day. Having read some posts from others I run a ShieldsUP scan and all common ports are stealth. My router is a Lynksys WRT54GS.

Now, what should I do. I know for a fact that my IP address is NOT static, and suspect this might be the reason, but then, on the other hand, I have to think this should not be an issue, since the whole idea is for common people with dynamic IP addresses to have their home server, right?

If my ISP blocks certain ports, why is it that sometimes I can repair the connection?

Thanks

Luis
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have been successful in gaining remote access to my home server using https://myname.homersver.com BUT then it stopped working. I remember repairing it and it worked for a while. Then it stopped working for a long time and I was too busy to dedicate the time to troubleshooting this. Just recently I got it to work again for one day. Having read some posts from others I run a ShieldsUP scan and all common ports are stealth. My router is a Lynksys WRT54GS.

When you say "common ports", did you run a custom port scan for ports 80, 443, and 4125 (the 3 needed for Remote Access)?

Now, what should I do. I know for a fact that my IP address is NOT static, and suspect this might be the reason, but then, on the other hand, I have to think this should not be an issue, since the whole idea is for common people with dynamic IP addresses to have their home server, right?

If my ISP blocks certain ports, why is it that sometimes I can repair the connection?

Thanks

Luis
    It could be a problem with your NIC or the driver for it.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Thanks, I think I fixed it.

I followed these instructions:

It seems to work now
    • Marked as answer by Luis Urbina Friday, February 19, 2010 5:04 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:04 AM