www. version of site is not indexed RRS feed

• Question

• Our site www.yachtcharterguide.com does well in all the major search engines except for in Live where it does not appear. yachtcharterguide.com (without a www.) does appear but does not rank as highly as we suspect the www. would. What can we do about this?

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I apologize, but the powers that be have changed their position on 301s and are now suggesting their use. If you still are not getting the correct version indexed after you canonicalize your site, please let me know and I will see what I can do to clear our cache.

Brett

Friday, August 8, 2008 10:20 PM

All replies

• Further to this it does appear that the www. version of the site is also indexed but that Live is using the wwwless domain in the results instead? Does anyone have any experience of how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Mike
    Monday, February 25, 2008 9:58 AM
  • In theory a 301 redirect from non-www to www or vice-versa should solve this matter. Having said that, seems Live Search still have issues and is not correctly following redirects.

I have same problem with couple websites, unfortunately we can only wait for Live to resolve these issues ...

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:28 AM
  • Would this explain why my site, which has recently had a 301 redirect added to it for geo-locking purposes, has completely disappared off Live Search (and Google) whereas previously it was number one on the results?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:30 PM
  • If not mistaken, last time Jeremiah Andrick spoke about this issue on this forum, said Live can't handle 301 redirects and he suggested us to use 302 instead.

I had 301 in place for few months, switched to 302 couple months ago ... still no change though, although Live visits my homepage every 2 days. Can check it out on live.com, my homepage instead of http://www.file-extension.com/ is FILE-EXTENSION.COM still ... pages that should rank for file extension torrent (for example) are in index but nowhere to be found, only HOMEPAGE.COM shows up occasionally. Before this issue, my normal www.webpages where performing much better.

From thousands of webpages with various links to them, Live is indexing only 100 for months. Will be uploading a sitemap this week, hoping it helps too.

So I guess this problem is not solved yet, Live still not following redirects correctly ...
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:58 AM
  • Check out this site. It shows you how to 301 redirect non-www to www urls using an apache rewrite mod. It also shows you how to do it on an IIS server.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:03 PM
  • It's not a matter of writing the coding right, it's only a matter of Live Search whether it is now following 301 redirects or not? Definitely they had issues in the past. Maybe someone from MSN can give us more info about the current situation ...

Thanks a lot Stick out tongue
    Monday, April 14, 2008 8:05 AM
  • It would be useful if the Webmaster tools allowed you to indicate whether you wanted Live Search to displayed domain.com or www.domain.com as your preferred domain.
    Google allows you to do this and it works well.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 8:47 AM
  • I am currently working on the 301 redirection issue, but because there are so many possible scenarios, I don't have a fix date to give you. For now, I strongly recomend you use 302s.

Brett 

Monday, May 5, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Thanks Brett.

I have changed the redirection to a 302. How quickly should this change the search results?

Best wishes,

Mike
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:11 AM
  • Hi Brett.

It has been a week since it was changed to a 302 redirect but there is still no change in the results.

How long will it take to have an impact?

Regards,

Mike
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I apologize, but the powers that be have changed their position on 301s and are now suggesting their use. If you still are not getting the correct version indexed after you canonicalize your site, please let me know and I will see what I can do to clear our cache.

Brett

Friday, August 8, 2008 10:20 PM