none
Windows 10 TabTip.Exe Functionality Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have several concerns regarding the Windows 10 version of TabTip.exe.  The Windows 7 version of tabtip used to float as a small tab on the side of the screen.  This functionality appears to have gone away and now tabtip docks in the taskbar.  We do not give our operators access to the taskbar and so I am looking for a workaround so that they can bring up the keyboard as needed on our touchscreens.

One workaround that I found was using the registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/TabletTip/1.7/EnableDesktopModeAutoInvoke = 1.  This appears to make tabtip pop whenever text entry is possible while allowing the PC to remain in desktop mode.  This was a sufficient work around for the problem except when we route our touchscreen through one of KVM extenders (BlackBox 6022A).  The functionality I described works fine with other models of KVM extender, but this particular one does not allow taptip to pop up in the way that I described.

Are there any other plausible workarounds to replace side docking that was removed in Windows 10, or any other settings that might solve the KVM issue?

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:53 PM