When Passwords are Stolen... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

When an email virus invades a computer and steals passwords, other than gaining access to the emails which it already has, and causing the owner of the computer time, headaches and money, what else can be done with the stolen passwords? 

Thank you,

Nissi1
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Nissi1, this is a difficult question to answer. The real problem is not that an e-mail pasword was stolen but what else might have been stolen. Usually if malware breaches your security you could not only lose passwords but user names, passwords, account information from banking, paid bills, etc. If you believe your security has been compromised the best action is to change the user name and password on every account you access online that has personal information. I'm hoping this is just an informational question.
    Jim
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hello Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

There is an email going around which appears to come from President Obama's camp.  A friend unfortunately opened one of these emails, which he says keeps asking for his email addresses and passwords.   Fortunately he does not have much on his computer but a few pictures and emails.

I wonder if this can also be another way to obtain the email addresses and names stored in his computer and use these to contact his friends.  Having a person's email address and name makes an email appear more legitimate.   In this scenario, I wondered if everyone whose email address was stored in his computer should be notified?

Nissi1
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 6:32 AM
  • It is common for address books to be accessed by malware. It is unclear to me what is exactly going on with your friend's computer since your originl post referenced passwords stolen by malware and your above post which references an e-mail which seems to be a phishing scam.
    Since this thread is not about One Care I will move it to the Off Topic folder.
    Jim
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 3:49 PM