My system drive is 500GB (adding 1TB drives) RRS feed

• Question

• My system drive right now is 500GB because that is all I could afford at the time.  When I add drives over the next year, 750GB and 1TB drives should come down in price, so would I experience any problems from adding a larger data drive?  I know MSFT recommends that your system drive be the largest drive, but I just can't afford a 1TB at this time.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

•  HalpPlz wrote:
    My system drive right now is 500GB because that is all I could afford at the time.  When I add drives over the next year, 750GB and 1TB drives should come down in price, so would I experience any problems from adding a larger data drive?  I know MSFT recommends that your system drive be the largest drive, but I just can't afford a 1TB at this time.

If you are asking can yu always add a bigger drive the answer is yes.

If you are asking if your system drive is not the biggest drive in the box are you guarantee to have roblems the answer is no.

So yes you can do what you want.

The flip side to this will be say you add two TB of storrage to your pool, with your current setup the most files you could copy at one go is about 445 GB. In the future with say two TB of free space the larget amount of files will still be this 445 GB that you have freeon your 500 GB drive. If you used the TB drive you have something like a 910 GB limit. Most of us really aren't transfering anywhere near that amount of data at one time. So it doesn't realy matter. The other issue is speed, and all things considered the TB rive will be faster than the 500 GB drive. ***If*** you do a lot of copying to your WHS it would make a lot of sense to upgrade the system drive to the fastest drive. All files that you move to he WHS are first moved to that SYS drive, first and then copied to a pool drive. Again the **NORMAL** use is to copy files to the WHS and once they are there to read them back to your media players and other PC multiple times.

So the long answer is you can always do it, but depending on how you use your WHS it might not be the smartest move on your part.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Dark has got the right idea for sure.  You can update your system drive later, but you will have to reinstall the OS and set up your user accounts again. No biggie really. 

But I'm not so sure you really need a 1TB drive as your primary drive anyway.  Here's why::

The way Ken Warren explained it to me was this:  Lets say you have a 100 gb primary drive and a 500 gb secondary.  When you transfer a single file from a client to WHS (lets say the file is 1 gb) it goes onto the primary drive first and is almost immediately migrated to the secondary drive for storage. Of course system and drive speeds will affect this migration time....Which is what Dark said.

Remeber that 100 gb primary drive?  Well the rule is this-You can transfer a single file that is equal to or less than the remaining size of the primary drive.  So if you have a fresh 100 gb primary, the largest single file you can transfer to WHS in one shot is 100 gb. I don't know about you, but I'm sure most of us transfer single files that are less than 100 gb.

So, you say, "Well, that's no biggie. My files are not that big."  Well, if you totally fill up your secondary drive and you continue to add data, WHS will then have to put those new files on that 100 gb primary drive.  As you fill that primary drive up you slowly reduce the single file size transfer ability on that primary. Got it?  

I'd stay with the 500 gb primary and just add mega drives as your secondaries..... Then just add more drives if you notice that you're starting to dip into your primary drive for storage...  IMHO.

Then you need enough empty HD space should you need to remove a drive due to failure or upgrade replacement... That's a whole nother story.

Hope that helps....

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:15 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    Dark has got the right idea for sure.  You can update your system drive later, but you will have to reinstall the OS and set up your user accounts again. No biggie really. 

But I'm not so sure you really need a 1TB drive as your primary drive anyway.  Here's why::

The way Ken Warren explained it to me was this:  Lets say you have a 100 gb primary drive and a 500 gb secondary.  When you transfer a single file from a client to WHS (lets say the file is 1 gb) it goes onto the primary drive first and is almost immediately migrated to the secondary drive for storage. Of course system and drive speeds will affect this migration time....

Remeber that 100 gb primary drive?  Well the rule is this-You can transfer a single file that is equal to or less than the remaining size of the primary drive.  So if you have a fresh 100 gb primary, the largest single file you can transfer to WHS in one shot is 100 gb. I don't know about you, but I'm sure most of us transfer single files that are less than 100 gb.

So, you say, "Well, that's no biggie. My files are not that big."  Well, if you fill up your secondary drive and you continue to add data, WHS will then have to put those new files on that 100 gb primary drive.  As you fill that primary drive up you slowly reduce single file size transfer ability on that primary. Got it?  

I'd stay with the 500 gb primary and just add mega drives as your secondaries..... Then just add more drives if you notice that you're starting to dip into your primary drive for storage...  IMHO.

Hope that helps....

Because that primary drive is the temporary landing spot for everything coming onto your WHS and because a file gets written there, then read off of there, and finally written somewhere else it stands to reason if this drive is as fast as possible it will help overall system performance. As a general rule the biggest drives are the fastest drives, my 1 TB SATA drive is faster than my 500 GB SATA drive as an example, and both are the same speed. I believe it’s important for the primary drive to be the fastest drive in one’s system. It’s not so much to do with how big a file one can move, but with how fast one can move them, IMHO. What we are really looking at is a read from the network interface, a write to the primary hard drive, a read from the primary hard drive and a write to another hard drive, all of that takes time and resources.

Just my two cents….

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Sure, that is true.  But I thought the topic of his thread was if he needed a 1TB drive as his primary with regard to one time file size transfer.  Oh well.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:11 AM