Certificate Error RRS feed

• Question

• When users connect to my son's HP EX470 WHS box they get a certificate warning.  I did a search on this forum and found some posts from early 2008 about Microsoft providing a certificate for 5 years through something called GoDaddy.  However, I'm not finding info on how to get and implement this certificate.  Can someone point me to a summary somewhere?  Thanks.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:15 AM

Answers

• Fisher99 said:

Mike.  The name that is shown in "Remote Access" is "http://hisWHSname.HPShare.net".  It is an "HPShare" domain rather than a "homeserver" domain, so not sure if that is problematic or not.  There seemed to be some posts here that indicated that if you had the HP domain, then you had to go buy a certificate, but if you used the Microsoft domain you got a 5 year free certificate.

Mike is wrong.  You are right.  In order to get the free certificate (provided by GoDaddy), you must use the MS domain (xxxxx.homeserver.com).  The domain HP provides (xxxxx.hpshare.net) is on top of the one MS provides and you do not get a free certificate with it.

Fisher99 said:

When he has his HP EX470 WHS box email out a link for pictures to be viewed, it looks like this:

http://dietz.hpshare.net/Webshare/ViewPhotos.m?username=dietzgw@ah.org&albumId=2&mac=51b1cfe08ea69cc7b6f5999fe1b220

When the person clicks that link to view the photos, they get the certificate error message.  I know that you can get around that by adding that to the IE or FireFox "trusted sites", but it seems painful to make each person he emails photo links to do this to their browser. 

So, it seems to me that he is not using a custom domain name.  Just "hisWHSname.HPShare.net".  If I read your email correctly this should be ok and he shouldn't need GoDaddy.  But it doesn't seem to be working that way.

The simplest method would be to unconfigure the HP domain, then configure the MS one (which will automatically give you a free certificate).  The other option would be to purchase a certificate for your HP domain and install it yourself (which is not something I would recommend for the average user).

Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 AM

All replies

• Is your WHS completely updated?  I beileve this was fixed with an update.  Also when you setup your remote access did you just use the default?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Yes, it is running the latest version with Powerpack 1 installed.  I didn't do the setup (it's my son's EX470) so I don't know what setup options he used.

I found some other info on this forum that seems to indicate that perhaps he had the option of selecting a "HPShare" domain or a Microsoft "homeserver" domain and that you need to use "homeserver" in order to get the free certificate from GoDaddy.  His domain is "HPShare" so maybe this is the problem?  If so, is it a simple process to switch to the Microsoft "homeserver" domain, or does that require completely re-installing the WHS software on the EX470 box?
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Mike.  The name that is shown in "Remote Access" is "http://hisWHSname.HPShare.net".  It is an "HPShare" domain rather than a "homeserver" domain, so not sure if that is problematic or not.  There seemed to be some posts here that indicated that if you had the HP domain, then you had to go buy a certificate, but if you used the Microsoft domain you got a 5 year free certificate.

When he has his HP EX470 WHS box email out a link for pictures to be viewed, it looks like this:

http://hisWHSname.HPShare.net/Webshare/ViewPhotos.m?username=  etc, etc, etc,

When the person clicks that link to view the photos, they get the certificate error message.  I know that you can get around that by adding that to the IE or FireFox "trusted sites", but it seems painful to make each person he emails photo links to do this to their browser. 

So, it seems to me that he is not using a custom domain name.  Just "hisWHSname.HPShare.net".  If I read your email correctly this should be ok and he shouldn't need GoDaddy.  But it doesn't seem to be working that way.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Fisher99 said:

Mike.  The name that is shown in "Remote Access" is "http://hisWHSname.HPShare.net".  It is an "HPShare" domain rather than a "homeserver" domain, so not sure if that is problematic or not.  There seemed to be some posts here that indicated that if you had the HP domain, then you had to go buy a certificate, but if you used the Microsoft domain you got a 5 year free certificate.

Mike is wrong.  You are right.  In order to get the free certificate (provided by GoDaddy), you must use the MS domain (xxxxx.homeserver.com).  The domain HP provides (xxxxx.hpshare.net) is on top of the one MS provides and you do not get a free certificate with it.

Fisher99 said:

http://dietz.hpshare.net/Webshare/ViewPhotos.m?username=dietzgw@ah.org&albumId=2&mac=51b1cfe08ea69cc7b6f5999fe1b220

The simplest method would be to unconfigure the HP domain, then configure the MS one (which will automatically give you a free certificate).  The other option would be to purchase a certificate for your HP domain and install it yourself (which is not something I would recommend for the average user).

Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Kariya21.  So clicking the "Unconfigure" button and then re-configuring with the MS domain will do the trick?  Without messing up anything else on the WHS?  Sounds too easy to be true, but hopefully it is that easy.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Fisher99 said:

Kariya21.  So clicking the "Unconfigure" button and then re-configuring with the MS domain will do the trick?  Without messing up anything else on the WHS?  Sounds too easy to be true, but hopefully it is that easy.

As I don't use an HP MSS, I don't exactly know how to unconfigure their domain setup (you might need to check your instruction manual for that).  But if you can somehow disable what HP/TZO provides, then yes, it should be as simple as configuring the MS domain.  Of course, you may not get the same name from MS as you had from HP (it may already be in use).
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Ok.  I'll let him know.  Maybe he can give it a try tomorrow.  Thanks for the info!

One more question, on an unrelated topic.  When he sends out email links and people are viewing the photos, if they click the "SAVE" button they are told that they do not have the rights to save photos.  It is pretty obvious to see where you configure rights for actual accounts that you create on the WHS, but not so obvious where you assign "SAVE" rights for people who don't have accounts but simply view photos via the web link.  Where is that done?
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:12 AM