Invalaid Network share name RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a network location to back up my pc & It says invalaind network share name. How do I find the proper network share name so I can backup me Pc on an internal hard drive disk
    Monday, December 22, 2008 3:27 AM

Answers

• You have to first create the Share on the destination drive from Windows Explorer.
    Assuming you wish to create a folder on an internal D: drive called "backups", and have OneCare use that folder to write the backups to, create the folder and then right click the folder and select "Share."
    You will need to provide a Share name and assign permissions to the Share.
    Then, in the OneCare backup configuration for Centralized Backup, you point to the network Share:
    \\[computer name]\[share name]
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:17 PM

All replies

• You have to first create the Share on the destination drive from Windows Explorer.
    Assuming you wish to create a folder on an internal D: drive called "backups", and have OneCare use that folder to write the backups to, create the folder and then right click the folder and select "Share."
    You will need to provide a Share name and assign permissions to the Share.
    Then, in the OneCare backup configuration for Centralized Backup, you point to the network Share:
    \\[computer name]\[share name]
    -steve
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:17 PM
  • So far so good till i get to the share name. How do I know what to select as far as the share name
    Monday, December 22, 2008 2:15 PM
  • You can call it anything you want. :-)
    There are some rules for invalid characters and the Share name cannot already be in use, but you can call it something simple like "OCBackup"
    I also want to point out that backing up to another internal drive on the same PC is unsupported, though you can make it work. It isn't support because it really isn't a good backup destination except in the case of a single drive failure.
    -steve
    Monday, December 22, 2008 2:26 PM
  • i am still having dificulty with this and am becoming more confused every time i attempt it. Is the a costomer help # that I can call to have someone walk me through it.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:40 PM
  •   

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

However, I'll repeat that using an internal drive for backup is technically unsupported.
    -steve

Monday, December 22, 2008 5:13 PM