Serious problems with my Windows Home server. Primary disk out of space RRS feed

• Question

• here are my specs:

Dual core ATOM 1.6Ghz 64Bit capable
    2GB DDR2
    80GB Primary HDD
    4x USB 1TB External Secondary HDD

Ok I have a Windows Home Server and I dumped a bunch of data yesterday off of my desktop and then I got  a error saying that I some of the drivers where out of space.

I logged in to the console to see this:

Disc 0 "80GB Primary Drive" Shows 99% and 0GB free
    Disc 1 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 67% and 289GB free
    Disc 2 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 36% and 588GB free
    Disc 3 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 97% and 19GB free
    Disc 4 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 90% and 87GB free

I tried running DriveBalancer on it but it errored out saying that there was not enough free space.

So what What are my options here and Why doesn't WHS even all the data out. Discs 1&2 are actually the newest drives in the system.

I added them when drives 3&4 started getting full but instead of moving the data WHS just kept on filling up the other drives.

I thought that all files were initially copied to the landing pad and then would be copied to an appropriate location determined by the amount of space available on the secondary drives. Am I wrong? So what happened?

Is the amount of data that can be copied to the system in a single transfer limited by the space available on the landing pad?

If so what are my options here? I have a 500GB driver that I could replace the primary with. What data is likely to be lost?

Why doesn't WHS balance data on its own?

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:18 PM

Answers

• Yes. Data in that share is on whatever drive the share itself is on, presumably D:. Remove the data from the share, remove the share itself, recreate it through the console, and put the data back.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:20 AM

All replies

• here are my specs:

Dual core ATOM 1.6Ghz 64Bit capable
    2GB DDR2
    80GB Primary HDD
    4x USB 1TB External Secondary HDD

Ok I have a Windows Home Server and I dumped a bunch of data yesterday off of my desktop and then I got  a error saying that I some of the drivers where out of space.

I logged in to the console to see this:

Disc 0 "80GB Primary Drive" Shows 99% and 0GB free
    Disc 1 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 67% and 289GB free
    Disc 2 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 36% and 588GB free
    Disc 3 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 97% and 19GB free
    Disc 4 "1TB USB Secondary" Shows 90% and 87GB free

I tried running DriveBalancer on it but it errored out saying that there was not enough free space.

So what What are my options here and Why doesn't WHS even all the data out.

Because it's not designed to evenly distribute files across all of the drives.  See the Drive Extender Technical Brief for details on how it works (and why).

Discs 1&2 are actually the newest drives in the system.

I added them when drives 3&4 started getting full but instead of moving the data WHS just kept on filling up the other drives.

That's normal (except for the fact that your primary drive got down to 0 GB free).  It should never get that low.

I thought that all files were initially copied to the landing pad and then would be copied to an appropriate location determined by the amount of space available on the secondary drives. Am I wrong?

Yes.  The landing zone no longer exists (it was changed with Power Pack 1).

So what happened?

How did you copy data to the server?  Did you use the UNC path (\\server\sharename) or some other method?  Also, have you installed any applications from the server desktop (which, by the way, is unsupported)?

Is the amount of data that can be copied to the system in a single transfer limited by the space available on the landing pad?

Not if your server is up-to-date.  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?

If so what are my options here? I have a 500GB driver that I could replace the primary with. What data is likely to be lost?

Why doesn't WHS balance data on its own?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Do you not have a spare internal SATA connection you could add that 500GB drive to the pool.   I'm not sure but I think drive extender will prefer an internal drive over USB for storing backups on and as you don't have any other internal drives it has preferred your rather small system drive.

Also can we have the figures from Server Storage, i.e. total, backups, system, free space...

Thanks,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:44 AM
  • The only add-ins that I have installed are :

Avast AV WHS edition.
    DiskManagment

info in resource tab is as follows?

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

could it be that the pointers for my data are simply consuming the entire 74GB  on the primary?

According to the server storage tab:

Shared Folders 2.4TB 63%
    PC Backups 323GB 8%
    System 76GB 3%
    Free Space 995GB 26%

I only have a single HDD space in my WHS . It is a very small Atom powered box.

So if the landing pad no longer exist Then is has to be that the pointers for the file system have exceeded the 74Gb left on the Primary Drive correct?
    If so what are my options here? As I said I do have a 500GB SATA Drive that I can replace the 80GB currently serving as my primary drive.

Can I use Ghost on this? I know it is not "supported" but is there any reason it shouldn't work? I have spent months ripping my DVD collection to this thing and if I have to start over I think I'm gonna have a heart attack.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:59 PM
  • could it be that the pointers for my data are simply consuming the entire 74GB  on the primary?

According to the server storage tab:

System 76GB 3%

I only have a single HDD space in my WHS . It is a very small Atom powered box.

Hi,

You should have a dig around your D: drive to see what is taking up this space - usually System should only be 20GB - it looks like you have stored files outside of d:\shares\ this is why your system disk is reported as 0% free.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Assuming an otherwise empty 80 GB system drive, after you take out the SYS partition you have enough space left for over 14 million "tombstones". So I don't believe that's the problem.

I'm inclined to think it has something to do with either backups, as Al has suggested, or with how you've been copying files to your server's shares. Can you tell us if you've been copying files to the shares using D:\Shares\etc. on the server as the target? This will sometimes cause problems such as you describe...

Also, do you have duplication turned on for anything?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Ok I think I know what I did I made a share during a remote desktop session without thinking about it. I didn't make it through the panel. Could that be it?
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Ok copying files from the incorrectly made share to the correctly made share is bring down the used space. Health is back in the green.

Still it seems like DE is copying everything to a drive that is almost full when I have 2 drives that  are arouns half full. This doesn't seem to logical to me.

What about cloning the system drive to the 500GB drive? To insure that nothing is ever to likely fill up this thing again.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Yes. Data in that share is on whatever drive the share itself is on, presumably D:. Remove the data from the share, remove the share itself, recreate it through the console, and put the data back.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:20 AM