password change add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I did a some searching around (whsaddins.com, these forums, and the whs add-in blog) but I haven't seen anything specific.

I've given some users folder access to my WHS using the web page.  What is the recommended method for them to change their own passwords?  
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:58 AM

Answers

• Since presumably those users are family members (remember, Windows Home Server is a home server OS), they can change their password on a client computer and the connector will lead them through the process of changing it on the server. Or someone who has the console password can change it directly on the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by blodestone Friday, January 15, 2010 6:57 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Since presumably those users are family members (remember, Windows Home Server is a home server OS), they can change their password on a client computer and the connector will lead them through the process of changing it on the server. Or someone who has the console password can change it directly on the server.
    • Marked as answer by blodestone Friday, January 15, 2010 6:57 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Thank you for your response, Ken. 

Yes, they are family members but they do not necessarily reside in my home .  I hesitate to say you are splitting hairs or picking nits, as you have in fact answered my question. 

There is no way for a user to change their own password remotely.  I would suggest that this feature would not lack value.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Splitting hairs is better than splitting infinitives. :) My point is that it's designed to make your home data management easier, not necessarily to serve as the "Blodestone Family web site" for all and sundry to view.

When asked "How should I give all my relatives access to be able to look at family photos?" I recommend against what you've probably done, which is granting individual users access with individual accounts on the server. Much better is to create a single account which has read only access to the specific shares required, and give that single ID out to everybody. Remember that you are limited to 10 users in Windows Home Server...
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:50 PM
  • understood. 
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:57 PM