RECYCLER scan very slow RRS feed

• Question

• When I do a OneCare virus scan, it slows down and takes over an hour just to get through the RECYCLER folder as it tries to clean those files(very old worm files). Then it shows files that need to be manually removed from the RECYCLER folder. but that folder is not openable. RECYLER folder also can not put on the scan exclusion list. I suspect those files are safely in quarantine there, but then they should not have to be on the 'scan and try to fix list'.

My computer is XP Professional, and I am the 3rd owner.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you emptied the Recycle Bin? Recycler is a hidden folder on each drive that makes up part of the "recycle bin" in Windows.
    Are you able to view the contents of \RECYCLER ? They will be in the format of S-1-5-{lots more numbers}
    If so, select the files within and delete them permanently.

if emptying the Recycle Bin does not resolve it, please contact support for help with taking care of this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Some older versions of the Norton/Symantec Antivirus products used to create a hidden folder in the Recycler folder to contain the quarantine of infected files.  If you previously had Norton installed, this folder isn't automatically deleted during uninstall unless you specify this.  So it's possible this is the source of the notifications and since the folder is hidden, it can't be deleted by a normal emptying of the Recycle folder.

If this is the case, you'll need to either manually view hidden files and folders and delete the Norton folder or acquire the Norton Removal Tool and run it to clean up all remnants.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Ah, good observation, OneCareBear. I didn't know that Symantec/Norton products did this.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:27 PM