How to determine how many HDD's a MOBO will support RRS feed

• Question

• OK, so it might seem like a stupid question but I am in the middle of going over the parts for my first WHS build. And I asked my self how many HDD does a mobo support? I am looking to to build one with around 6-8 HDD's with room to expand in the future. The MOBO I had my eye on is:EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard. Any help would be appreciated thanks everyone.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:40 PM

All replies

• The generic answer has to be "read your motherboard manual". That will include complete specs for the motherboard. You haven't linked to anything so I don't know what specific board you're thinking about using, but in general you won't find consumer motherboards with support for more than about 6-8 drives. To expand beyond that you would need an additional controller card.

Have you considered the alternative of an HP MediaSmart Server instead? You don't have to build your own that way. The form factor is appealing, too, although you don't have as much space for installing drives internally.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Well yeah that would be nice, but I have not bought the MOBO yet as I am putting together my list of parts that I want. I see it says that it has 6 ATA headers and am going to assume that it supports 6 ATA drives. As far as the HP Mediasmart goes, yeah its a nice piece of hardware, but I want it to have a little more oomphh . I plan on converting all my DVD's and HD DVD to digiatal ( that I legally purchased and own). I have heard about the HP's having just barely enough power to do just its main tasks. And streaming HD content while doing other tasks worries me. So I decied to build my own with my buddies help. But thank you for the reply and helpfull info.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Motherboard manufacturers generally have manuals available on their web sites as downloadable PDFs. You might want to check the appropriate web site. However, I've done your basic pre-sales research for you. The motherboard you're considering has 6 SATA connectors, intended by the manufacturer for use with hard drives, and one PATA (IDE) connector intended for use with a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

While it's true that the HP MediaSmart Server isn't a powerhouse, it's certainly capable of streaming HD content, assuming the rest of your home network infrastructure will support it. All streaming requires is the ability to read from disk and send the data out over your LAN. If you want to transcode HD video on the fly while you're performing other tasks, then you probably don't want Windows Home Server in the first place, you want a Media Center PC. Windows Home Server isn't a general purpose desktop operating system; trying to use it as one has frustrated quite a number of people.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:28 PM
  • The abit AB9 Pro motherboard I use supports 9 internal SATA connectors, 1 external eSATA and 1 PATA (IDE) conenctor:

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AB9+Pro&fMTYPE=LGA775

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:16 PM
  • Oh yeah, well my motherboard supports up to 8 ide drives onboard! Wahoo! Unfortunately no sata connectors though but it seems to work well enough over ata connections and those older drives I have are getting some good use. I could get an add-in raid card for sata but i'd rather jusr get a new mobo later and switch over to sata drives and maybe put them in a backplane.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:41 PM
  • my motherboard can run 25 drives in theory - 7 on each of the 3 onboard scsi controllers and 4 on the 2 IDE
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:00 PM
  •  

Read the manual? Most motherboards manuals SUCK... Anyone read one? They print ONE copy for different models. "Your model may vary..." Better question...How many drives can your case hold. Smile
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:53 AM