Unable to delete files "Access Denied" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have been getting file conflict errors on a few files in my softwre share.
    "access denied" - I have tried to delete them via RDP, run a chkdsk /f /r /x, tried moveonboot and the WHS cleanup tool.
    I have also checked for processes using the file with another tool, it reports the files are not being used/locked by anything.

http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whserrortv1.jpg

Is there anything I can do to delete these files? any more diagnostics to fin out whats wrong with them?

Thanks.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    your problem looks similar to the situation described in
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/259235f8-9256-42d0-978f-5a370415a4e1/
    besides the fact, that chkdsk seems to have not solved the issue for you as well.

Maybe your best chance would be trying to take a new harddisk, replace the primary disk with it and try a server reinstall.
    If a server reinstall is not offered, save all your important data from shared folders (and maybe the backups) to another disk, which is not part of the storage pool, disconnect the disk and perform a new install. (If you do not have a spare disk or space on your client PC for the backup, you can also disconnect all drives before performing a fresh installation and later copy the data from the DE\shares folders on each drive to the Shared folders on server, before adding the disks back to the storage pool.)

After applying Power Pack 1 and subsequent Windows updates copy the saved files back before starting the first backup again.

Best geetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:30 PM

All replies

• You could check the folders via c:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\shares and try to delete the files here directly.
    Did you run chkdsk only on drive d: or also for each volume mount point in c:\fs?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:11 AM
  • In the folder C:\fs\ there are 3 drives listed; 11, C, E
    within two of these there is the softwre shared folder but both do not contain the access denied files?

I have a hard drive fail last week, it contained a few duplicated shares plus a few non duplicated.
    I removed the drive via the console.

Thanks.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Hello,
    do you see related errors in the event log?
    Can you delete affected files by using the following command?
    fsutil reparsepoint delete <filename>
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 11:31 AM
  • Hi,
    Last week when the hard drive failed I gto loads of entries such as:

Event Type:    Error 
    Event Source:    Ntfs 
    Event Category:    Disk 
    Event ID:    55 
    Date:        19/09/2008 
    Time:        09:14:11 
    User:        N/A 
    Computer:    SERVER 
    Description: 
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\C. 

These stopped when I removed the hard drive.
    Nothing elise that could be a problem since then.

Sunday, October 5, 2008 11:58 AM
  • >D:\Shares\Software\fsutil reparsepoint delete config.tmpl produces: Error: Access is denied.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hello,
    your problem looks similar to the situation described in
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/259235f8-9256-42d0-978f-5a370415a4e1/
    besides the fact, that chkdsk seems to have not solved the issue for you as well.

Maybe your best chance would be trying to take a new harddisk, replace the primary disk with it and try a server reinstall.
    If a server reinstall is not offered, save all your important data from shared folders (and maybe the backups) to another disk, which is not part of the storage pool, disconnect the disk and perform a new install. (If you do not have a spare disk or space on your client PC for the backup, you can also disconnect all drives before performing a fresh installation and later copy the data from the DE\shares folders on each drive to the Shared folders on server, before adding the disks back to the storage pool.)

After applying Power Pack 1 and subsequent Windows updates copy the saved files back before starting the first backup again.

Best geetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:30 PM