Live Mesh not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi live mesh is not properly working on windows 7 beta.
    I am using standard user account. But when ever i tried to configure remote desktop by clicking on "configure live mesh remote desktop", UAC asks for admin password, i use my admin password, and i always get message that " Configured live mesh updates". But it doesn't work. Even i tried it by using admin account.
    I also tried by putting live mesh in exception list of windows firewall, but nothing change.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

The answer here is actually quite simple: Live Mesh does not support non-admin installs.  Installing on a standard user account, then providing admin credentials when prompted ("over-the-shoulder elevation") will result in exactly the above-described behavior.  Unfortunately, at this time the only workaround is to install Live Mesh to an administrator account.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like you're hitting a bug with Live Mesh. I'd suggest collecting your logs and submitting a bug - instructions here. Once submitted, post the bug id / url back here so that others can track / validate the bug.

Good Luck!

Oren
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:42 AM
  •  Hi,
            I am attaching Connect Feedback ID : 417232
               Please have a look.
    Regards
    Siddharth
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Thanks for submitting the bug and logs. Hopefully the Live Mesh team can provide an answer to you. Please do update the thread when you get a response.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hi all,

The answer here is actually quite simple: Live Mesh does not support non-admin installs.  Installing on a standard user account, then providing admin credentials when prompted ("over-the-shoulder elevation") will result in exactly the above-described behavior.  Unfortunately, at this time the only workaround is to install Live Mesh to an administrator account.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Hi,
     It works fine when i have installed it on admin account.
     But it will be good if live mesh works with standard accounts also.

Hey by the way i also have a problem with windows 7, when ever i log into admin account , i gets windows defender prompt that my pc is infected by a trojen. I tried every possible method to clean that trojen with the help of windows defenders tools (quarentine, clean...etc) and every time I get message that "System cleaned successfully...." ie A windows defender window with Greenbar..
    And this problem only comes with admin account and not with standard account. So i always logged in with standard account. I searched on several forums..but failed to solve this problem. This problem only comes with "Admin account of windows 7 (both 64 bit and 32 bit)" i tried both of them. With vista..no prompt..it just works fine.

Please help me to get rid of this problem . (Sorry for poor english :-))
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Glad to read that you were able to get it to work on an admin account, as Ben explained.
    As for the Defender issue with the infection reported, that's not a subject for this forum.

You can try the Defender newsgroups:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:18 PM