Live Meeting Hosted Service: How to route LM traffic on the network RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I didn't see a Live Meeting only forum.

Anyway here goes:

As I understand it Live Meeting when using Microsoft's hosted service connects to Microsoft's Live Meeting servers and they handle communication with each client.

So if I have 5 people connection from 5 different locations in the country all 5 go out to the live meeting servers and meet up there.

However I don't have any idea how to route live meeting traffic.

The situation is that we have several sites, our main site and small branch offices.

Currently our branch offices all connect back to our main site over Cisco PIX devices which as I understand it is basically a VPN connection back to the main site.

Now that works great most of the time, except for live meeting I do NOT want to route all traffic over the VPN back to our main site and then from the main site out to MS's live meeting servers.

I would much prefer that the branch offices be able to go out their local internet connection (they have cable modems with business accounts of various speeds) and go to MS's servers over the internet instead of coming back over the VPN, to us, then from us out to the web.

I haven't been able to find any information that describes how the Live Meeting client connects to Microsoft's servers.  Does it go to a URL and that is resolved, does it go to a given IP address, use specific ports?

I'm sure other people who are far more knowledgeable in network have been able to resolve this issue easily, but my area of expertise is not networking so I'm posting here.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:57 PM

All replies

• Live Meeting uses HTTPS or HTTP traffic to connect.  So basically you need to do split tunnelling in your VPN tunnels between your PIX. Meaning route only what need in the tunnel and let all other traffic go to the local ISP.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:53 PM