Startup and MsConfig Relationship RRS feed

• Question

• I just loaded the released version of 2.0 (No Problems at all!). I noticed that if something was orignally checked in MsConfig Startup Tab, it appears in OC 2.0 Startup Cleaner box and can be set to off or on using the new OC Startup Cleaner box. But if unchecked in MsConfig, it does not appear (tested this with the new version of Java). So, here is the question. Does the Startup Cleaner box really stop programs from loading at startup (by using the off option, such as Java or Microsoft LifeChat headphones) if they need to be checked by MsConfig to even appear in the Startup Cleaner list?

Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:02 PM

Answers

• It needs to be running and loading at startup to be identified by OneCare's startup cleaner. So, if it is uncheked in MSConfig, it is already not loading.

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:47 AM

All replies

• It needs to be running and loading at startup to be identified by OneCare's startup cleaner. So, if it is uncheked in MSConfig, it is already not loading.

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Thanks Steve. From this, I assume that once a process is turned off by OC Sturtup Cleaner, it does not run on the next reboot unless or until it is turned on again. Is this right?  Or do they all actually run at initial boot and are shut down before Windows loads? Actually, what I like about the OC Startup feature is that it actually names the background processes and only lets the user shut off services that are non-critical to the interface or to the (Vista) OS.

Sorry about the additional questions. They are not complaints, I'm just a techno-geek who likes to know how the stuff works. But, I like processes as simple as possible, too

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:05 AM
  • When OneCare shuts down a startup program, it does so in the same way that it is done in MSConfig - that is, the process is disabled so it won't start up. However, if the program that was disabled has another component that switches it back on, I don't know if OneCare steps in to disable it again.

Ask away. We all learn! :-)

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:16 PM