off topic - how do i delete my old email address? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I urgently need to know how to get rid of my old email address. I want it gone so no one else can mail to it
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:19 AM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

From Windows Live Hotmail help -

Close your account

Free Windows Live Hotmail accounts become inactive if you don't sign in for 120 days, or within the first 10 days after signing up for an account. After an account becomes inactive, all messages, folders, and contacts are deleted, but the account name is still reserved. If the account stays inactive for an additional 90 days, the account name may be permanently deleted. If you don't use your Windows Live ID for 365 days, your Windows Live ID may be permanently deleted.

Close a free Windows Live Hotmail account
    1. Visit the Windows Live Hotmail close account web page.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Close account to close your account.
    Note

If you receive an error message when you try to close your account, contact your account administrator for more information. Some types of accounts, such as Microsoft Office Live Mail, can't be closed this way. Other types of accounts, such as university accounts, can't be closed at all.

Close a paid Windows Live Hotmail account
    If you pay for your Windows Live Hotmail account, you have to end your subscription before closing your account. To end your subscription:
    1. Visit the Microsoft Billing and Account Management website, and then sign in with the e-mail address that you want to cancel.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions to cancel your paid subscription. This converts your paid Windows Live Hotmail account to a free Windows Live Hotmail account.
    3. To cancel your free account after you've canceled your paid subscription, follow the steps above.
    Note

If your subscription expires, or if you cancel your paid service, your Windows Live Hotmail account reverts to a free account. You can still use this free Windows Live Hotmail account, but your account will be reduced to 5 gigabytes (GB).

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:59 PM