Delete server backups RRS feed

• Question

• How can I delete older server backups in order to free space in the dedicated for that purpose hard drive?

Older backups are needless, I only want to keep the last one.

It doesn't give me the optio, does it?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:17 AM

All replies

• How can I delete previous backups of the server hard disk that is assined for that purpose, cause I am runnung out of space. At that frequency I will run into problems even if the backup is scheduled once a day, which, according to my opinion is needless.
    • Merged by Ken Warren Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:42 PM duplicate post in wrong forum
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:42 AM
  • No, there is no way of manually managing server backups. Provided you are not backing up more data than the size of your backup disk, the Server will automatically delete older backups to make space for newer ones. The only way of doing what you want to do is to switch off server backups and then restart them - when you add in the server backup disk you will be asked if you wish to keep old backups. If you say "No", they will all be deleted.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by 花木兰 Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:13 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:18 PM
  • No, there is no way of manually managing server backups. Provided you are not backing up more data than the size of your backup disk, the Server will automatically delete older backups to make space for newer ones. The only way of doing what you want to do is to switch off server backups and then restart them - when you add in the server backup disk you will be asked if you wish to keep old backups. If you say "No", they will all be deleted.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Same issue - and the problem is that I'm getting "Free space is low on hard drives" warning on the drive that's storing the backups. Even when I remove the PCs from backup, it only frees up 20GB of space, not 100s of GBs...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Hi Dennis,

this is not the same issue - the thread is talking about server backups (to external disk), you seem to talk about client backups (otherwise you would not talk about removing PCs from backup).

Your way would be to get a larger hard drive than the one you are holding the backups currently on (although it is not a good time to buy disks due to the current price jump).

Deleting PCs from backup will only remove stuff, which is unique on this PC, since the client backup routine is avoiding duplicates of data to be backed up (i.e. operating system components).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Actually I am talking about the one that is called server backup and to an internal hard disk, I am not using external drives.

Some things need clarification, though.

The server backup refers to the operating system file, e.t.c, plus whatever other files or folders or directories from your data in the same or some other disks. Correct?

The client backups are always stored in D: drive or not?

Is it possible to manually assign client computer backups to another drive? Perhaps not?

What is actually of utmost importance, is data backups. Can this, to some extent=2TB, be accomplished by server backup.

I am probably asking the same thing twice, but let's assume that I have 1.35 Tb of important data that needs to be backed up.

If I backup the server and check the above mentioned data, will this be backed up to the specific backup drive, either internal or external, at the same time, as long as it does not exceed the 2TB limit?

If yes, my problems are solved.

Well, not exactly, cause I have 12.5Tb of data, but anyway!

One last question, if I may.

I am aware of the fact, that I can add more than one hard disk as backup disks.

Now, which one is it used?

By the time the first one becomes full, will WHS 2011 start using the next one for backups?

Or am I confused?

I must admit it's abit complicated.

Greetings from Athens,

Andreas

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Andreas

I recommend that you think about an external drive for backup so that you can take it off site to protect against fire, flood etc.

As for your questions:

Server backup backs up your OS and whichever data shares you specify. Client computer backups can be moved to be stored on any drive you specify using the Dashboard (in the same way you can move other data shares) - these can also be chosen to be backed up during Server backup.

Yes, your 1.35TB would be backed up as you suggest. You can have more than one backup drive connected but Server backup will only back up to the drive you specify - it will not start backing up to a second drive when the first is full.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:57 PM
  • I greatly appreciate.

I will see if there is a bargain for external drives nowadays.

For the time being, I guess I was lucky, and bought 3 WD20EARX about 20 days ago for 74 euros each.

So storagewise, I am ok. for a while, of course.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:28 PM
  • If I am going to use an external drive for server backup, can I remove it from the dashboard like a normal windows external usb drive?

When next evening the server tries to find its backup hdd, it won't, thereby it will not backup anything and eventually it will show an error.

Is that correct?

Afterwards, I guess I can plug it in and leave it if I want to backup the server some other time.

On that account Phil is absolutely right! 

Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:00 PM