Bug - Instead of the insert http link dialogue menu I get an error RRS feed

• General discussion

• This just started. Another seemingly unrelated issue was that when I upgraded to IE 8 from IE 7 the newly opened IE 8 windows would just sit there. Status would tell me it is opening [insert IP address of site here]... but would never actually open the site. So I uninstalled 8... Then IE 7 started with an error that MSVCRT.DLL caused a fault and IE 7 had to close. So I reinstalled IE 7... nothing would change the fact that it wouldn't work.

So I reinstalled IE 8... Now IE works like a charm... But in WLW I get this error:

Select text, hit the insert hyperlink icon and I get this instead of a window to enter the link:

EventType : windowslivewriter    
    P1 : windowslive.writer.htmleditor.ihtmleditorcommandsource.insertlink    
    P2 : 198     P3 : system.typeinitializationexception     P4 : 14.0.8050.1202
    P5 : 2.0.50727.3082     P6 : windows live writer 

The dump says:
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Missing text parameter
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager.GlossaryLinkItemFromXml(XmlNode node)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..ctor()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.Linking.GlossaryManager..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.IHtmlEditorCommandSource.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditor.InsertLink()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.InsertLinkCommand.Execute()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.TextEditingCommandDispatcher.TextEditingCommand.Execute(Object sender, EventArgs ea)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.RaiseEvent(Object eventKey, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.Command.OnExecute(EventArgs e)

The only thing I can think of with this error is that possibly the link glossary is corrupt?

Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:07 PM

All replies

• Found my problem:

<entry>
        <text>
        </text>
        <url>http://www.[edited].com</url>
        <title>
        </title>
        <rel>
        </rel>
        <openInNewWindow>True</openInNewWindow>
      </entry>

That XML entry in the linkglossary file didn't have anything in the text field... I guess WLW should have some kind of check so that if the field is empty it moves on instead of throwing an error that keeps menus from popping up. The options menu is also effected by this error.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Do you have any ide how that entry ended up with a blank text node?  Did you get any errors while creating it, or did anything else funny happen?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Yes, it was related to my other post.

Since I type very fast I missed the problem when it was created.

I didn't have an extra line below my post so when I went to select some text and insert a hyper link, then set it to auto add the link on future occasions of typing the text I inadvertently followed these steps:

Select the text and quickly shortcut to the hyperlink page, ctrl-c (but did not notice the text became unselected and the link went into the post and not the window. Then I hit add to glossary and closed the window not realizing what I had done.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:10 PM