none
Identifying unread responses in long threads

General discussion

• Maybe I just don't know how to do it -- but is there a way by glancing at a thread to see where the unread posts in that thread are?  If there is, how do you do it? And if there is not, then there should be!

In the "old" newsgroup it was simple / obvious -- the unread posts were in bold and easy to pick out.

In the forums, especially in very long threads, it can be almost impossible to determine where the latest unread comment resides. It's very frustrating -- to be looking at only  threads containing unread information and not be able to find that information.

Has this been fixed? Or is it ever going to be fixed?

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 12:26 PM

All replies

• I have similar difficulties. There are two things i know of to help. They're not perfect, but they do help:

1) From the thread listing page, shoose "Last Reply"
    2) If the thread of more than a day old, it can help to search for the word "ago"
    Monday, May 31, 2010 1:13 PM

• In the forums, especially in very long threads, it can be almost impossible to determine where the latest unread comment resides.

It's not just the bold attribute or font, it's the washed out colors that seem to be preferred by the web designers. Workarounds for this issue have been discussed before...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/15c7ec58-b450- 427c-9f47-110be565734d#6537764a-cd54-4944-88f0-0b7a39d407e4

However, the simplest most reliable way to quickly check for new messages in a forum is to use the NNTP bridge regularly.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, May 31, 2010 1:54 PM