Installing Software On an HP MediaSmart WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

Okay, so I have a silly question, but something I'm curious about. What's the easiest way to install software on a MediaSmart server that has no graphics card and no disk drive?

I want to get SQL Server on the server, and I'm wondering how that typically works. Can I remote into the server easily?

In case it's not obvious, I've never actually used WHS and I'm curious about its capabilities.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 7:57 AM

Answers

• Dick is correct; you use a Remote Desktop session for non-standard admin tasks like installing server software.

Specifically about SQL Server, you can certainly install it. You will want to keep databases off the C: partition; best would be to add a disk to the server that you don't put in the storage pool, then use that for your databases.

But you really should order the eval kit from Microsoft, because in the end only you will be able to tell if WHS will be suitable for what you plan.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:19 PM
  • You use Remote Desktop to get into it from a client for all non-standard admin tasks. For standard admin tasks, there is a "console" that the connector software runs on a client. (Which seems to be just a dedicated UI for an RDP session.) Many of the reviews on the web have described this whole preocess with screen shots, etc.

That having been said, I'd search the forum for more on SQL Server and whether it works on WHS.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:59 AM

All replies

• You use Remote Desktop to get into it from a client for all non-standard admin tasks. For standard admin tasks, there is a "console" that the connector software runs on a client. (Which seems to be just a dedicated UI for an RDP session.) Many of the reviews on the web have described this whole preocess with screen shots, etc.

That having been said, I'd search the forum for more on SQL Server and whether it works on WHS.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Dick is correct; you use a Remote Desktop session for non-standard admin tasks like installing server software.

Specifically about SQL Server, you can certainly install it. You will want to keep databases off the C: partition; best would be to add a disk to the server that you don't put in the storage pool, then use that for your databases.

But you really should order the eval kit from Microsoft, because in the end only you will be able to tell if WHS will be suitable for what you plan.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Thanks guys.

I probably won't order the home eval kit because WHS has a ton of other capabilities I'd use even if I can't get SQL Server going (plus I just don't have the time to set it up and evaluate it on one of my test boxes).

The main reason I pre-ordered a MediaSmart server is because I want home network backups, a centralized location for my music and movies/TV shows, and I want to be able to access my files over the web.

Setting up a SQL Server instance (and source control software) to help with development across all my machines is just icing on the cake.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 7:06 PM