RAID5 pc recovery RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have 3 pcs on my home network, and one of them has a RAID5 array where the Windows Vista Ultimate x64 are installed. I had a failure of this pc and had to delete and create the raid array again, so my drive is clean. I tried full system recovery from Vista's dvd but couldn't find the array*** at all so I installed all again. (my exact hardware in the bottom).

So I am wondering if I buy and install WHS on another pc I have and have a backup every day, will I be able to restore my entire pc in a future similar situation?

Will the recovery cd be able to "see" the raid 5 array?

I read in the backup & restore pdf from MS for WHS that I can copy drivers from the WHS to a usb flash. It means that it copies the windows vista x64 drivers found in the backup of my pc on the WHS?

HW: Striker II Formula (780iSLI), Q6600, 2x8800GTX, 8GBRAM, RAID5 500GB WD, 2x500GB WD, 1TB WD.

(***ASUS doesn't give raid floppy disk, I have tried from other manufacturer but Recovery couldn't show the disk, although when I continue to install windows again disk is found)

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:58 AM

Answers

• I don't have an x64 Vista machine, so I haven't actually restored one, but yes, Windows Home server will restore a machine that uses RAID 5. Follow the instructions in the document you downloaded.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:19 AM
  •  

I tried this with my copy of WHS trial and it works fine.The recovery program found my Raid array and with the disk manager I made a partition so I finally restored the Vista x64 pc. I had previously isntalled vista, installed the connector from the http://<WHSIP>:55000 as I found in another post (because the connector cd doesn't install on x64 and installation of powerpack1 on WHS is needed), then backuped up and finally deleted the array.

Thanks

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:55 AM

All replies

• I don't have an x64 Vista machine, so I haven't actually restored one, but yes, Windows Home server will restore a machine that uses RAID 5. Follow the instructions in the document you downloaded.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 11:19 AM
  •  

I tried this with my copy of WHS trial and it works fine.The recovery program found my Raid array and with the disk manager I made a partition so I finally restored the Vista x64 pc. I had previously isntalled vista, installed the connector from the http://<WHSIP>:55000 as I found in another post (because the connector cd doesn't install on x64 and installation of powerpack1 on WHS is needed), then backuped up and finally deleted the array.

Thanks

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:55 AM