none
File recovery after error during setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

During setup, I know WHS kills all previous partitions on your harddrive including any data stored.
    All my previous installs have been made over the network - from the client.
    This time however, something very bad happened.

I started the WHS setup DVD from the client - which holds the exact same harddrive specs as the WHS machine does. 
    Hence, during setup, I could see nothing wrongful happening. As I wouldn't be stuck watching the formatting of the harddrives and filecopy, I went away to do some other stuff.
    As I came back I had a BSOD on my monitor....
    What had now happened was that the setup had killed all partitions and data from my CLIENT PC and tried to install WHS on that machine instead of the intended server over the network.

Now to the question...
    I have a copy of "magic recovery" that can get data back, even from physically problematic harddrives, but I have not tried if it will read data of a drive that WHS has "killed". I will - as soon as I get a machine that can attach the harddrive. BUT - is there anyone out there that have tried this already? Or is there another magic way of getting the data back?
    The harddrive contained two partitions but they are both gone now, hence no O/S setup finds a place to install - WinXP setup will not even identify space to create a partition in, which is totally new to me.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!
    br;
    Thomas Ingemarsson
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi!

During setup, I know WHS kills all previous partitions on your harddrive including any data stored.
    All my previous installs have been made over the network - from the client.
    This time however, something very bad happened.

I started the WHS setup DVD from the client - which holds the exact same harddrive specs as the WHS machine does. 
    Hence, during setup, I could see nothing wrongful happening. As I wouldn't be stuck watching the formatting of the harddrives and filecopy, I went away to do some other stuff.
    As I came back I had a BSOD on my monitor....
    What had now happened was that the setup had killed all partitions and data from my CLIENT PC and tried to install WHS on that machine instead of the intended server over the network.

Now to the question...
    I have a copy of "magic recovery" that can get data back, even from physically problematic harddrives, but I have not tried if it will read data of a drive that WHS has "killed". I will - as soon as I get a machine that can attach the harddrive. BUT - is there anyone out there that have tried this already? Or is there another magic way of getting the data back?
    The harddrive contained two partitions but they are both gone now, hence no O/S setup finds a place to install - WinXP setup will not even identify space to create a partition in, which is totally new to me.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!
    br;
    Thomas Ingemarsson
    Obviously you will need some sort of data recovery (either DIY or a professional service).  Depending on how badly you want to attempt to get your data back, I would suggest a professional service.  (NOTE:  Those services are definitely not cheap.)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Kariya,
    thank you for your answer.

As I state I already have access to "Magic Recovery" and "File Scavenger" which are fine to use to do a DIY file recovery in most cases. However, my interest is in knowing if there is anyone that have experience from this area.

I know a lot about WHS and it's storage, but I don't know if it does a "low level formatting" of the HDD. In such case all driveclusters would be killed and so the data...

Again, thanks! Will have a go with this tomorrow.

br;
    Thomas
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:39 PM
  • I doubt it. The adding drive process really only takes a minute, my guess that all it is doing is fast format, nuking the partition table.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:13 AM