EX470 Network Link Light Stuck on (Not powered) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a defective HP EX470.  Without a network cable connected and with the power cable connected but the server not powered on the network link light is illuminate.  Also I cannot reach the server over the network in either standard or recovery modes. 

1) Does anyone have any tips on what this could be?
    2) Where can I get a replacement motherboard for the EX470/EX475 from?  (HP Service don't list them as a part).

Thanks,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:13 PM

All replies

• First, have you disconnected your server entirely from power and network? If not, I would do that first. Leave it disconnected for at least 30-60 seconds, then reconnect to power and see what happens.

If the issue continues, and if your server is still under warranty, you can get it serviced by HP. If it's out of warranty, you should still contact HP support for assistance. They may not show the motherboard on their parts list, but presumably it's available somehow.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Yes it's been disconnected for days.  So residual power is not the problem.

The server is now out of warranty and I've been on the phone today with HP.  The part is not available as a spare from HP or their service centres.  I think I've tracked down the problem to a fault with the PHY Chip SIS196.  I will try to obtain a spare package and solder it on.  A tricky job but I think it will solve the problem.

Kind Regards,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:16 PM