Setup Error - Not Enough Storage Available RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded PP1 to a Vista 32bit computer (13.7GB free on the primary hard drive), opened my "Shared Folders" folder and copied the executable to the software folder, closed out of the folder, double-clicked the WHS Console Icon in my systray, selected the shared folders tab, selected the software folder and open, then double-clicked the executable.  The file extracts and then I receive the Setup Error: Not Enough storage is available to process this command.  Am I missing something?

WHS is running on a homebrew system with 2.65TB of storage from 6 hard drives.  I have 1.63TB of free space.  The OS is installed on a 200GB hard drive.  The system has been operational for about 3 months and except for a couple of disk errors that were repaired, it has run flawlessly while still a little slow with transfers (why I'm interested in this update).  It's connected to a gigabit ethernet running through a Netgear 16port switch.

I found 2 threads relating to this question but one didn't answer the question and the other was an HP Mediacenter where PP1 had to be run on the desktop(?) (http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3512722&SiteID=50)

I am a little fuzzy on the concept of the adminstrator's desktop that everyone refers to.  Is that just another way of referring to the WHS Console that is opened from the systray?  I did notice when I opened the software folder from the console the window that opened was larger than the console window.  My previous experiences with remote desktops kept new windows confined within the remote window.

Also, I installed the updates I was notified about last week without a problem.  So, I know it can install some updates.

Your help is appreciated.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• Remote Desktop is not the same as the WHS administrator's console application. To use remote desktop to log in to your server directly, on Vista:
    • Click the start button, then type 'mstsc' in the search box and press Enter.
    • Enter your server's name (probably SERVER or HPSERVER) in the first window and press Enter.
    • Enter the user name 'administrator' and the password you created for the console in the next window and press Enter.
    Read the warning that pops up, then close Internet Explorer. There is a link on the server desktop that will let you access the shares, open that link and run the update.

Be aware that this is an unsupported method of accessing your server. There are tools available to you that can severely damage your server's functionality, right up to data loss. You don't have to install Power Pack 1 right away; it will be available as an automatic update in August.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:44 AM